Sleep Training: Crib or Toddler Bed?

After over 2.5 years of sharing a family bed and extended breastfeeding, I've decided that it's time for us to provide more structure for my son when it comes to bedtime. I've done lots of reading and research and we're planning on initiating the Weissbluth method (Happy Sleep Habits / Happy Child) using the whole "extinction" approach.

Our son currently starts out the night in his toddler bed in his room (next to ours) and hasn't had trouble going to sleep (with us sitting next to his bed in the dark) until the last 2 months. He was sleeping fine and then waking up in the middle of the night to come in our bed which was fine when we had enough room. But now I'm huge and he's a kicker.

The big choice I'm facing now is this: should I leave his bed "as is" (toddler bed) and do the whole "Super Nanny" thing where you put them back in bed a billion times, or should we put the wall back up on his bed (it's a convertible crib/toddler bed thing) and stand try to stomach my way through the screaming?

My question is: For those of you who HAVE used this (or a similar) method, what did you do with your 2-3 year olds, and what would you recommend?

NOTE: If you do NOT have experience with this method I am NOT interested in your response. Any responses that do not directly answer the question (aka - if you give me the attachment parenting schpeel) will be deleted.

MamaSueCongdon

Asked by MamaSueCongdon at 1:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You will simply have to put him to bed while he is awake, and walk out of the room. Put on some soothing music and make sure the room isn't pitch black (a dim night light would be a good thing to use). If he gets out of bed, put him back. No talking, no direct eye contact, no engagement of any sort. He must learn that bedtime is bedtime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Hey! :) I get that part. I was specifically asking if people used toddler beds or kept their 2-3 year olds in a crib.
    MamaSueCongdon

Comment by MamaSueCongdon (original poster) at 1:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• my daughter slept with me 4ever. It was hard 2 get her n her own bed. I finally just let her go 2 sleep n my bed then move her 2 hers. She was about 3. That worked pretty good. My little guy now is 17 months. He sleeps n his crib. But I couldn't breastfeed so that makes it a little different. He used 2 let me rock him 2 sleep, but it's a rare occasion he lets me do that anymore. He likes 2 go 2 sleep n his crib & he sleeps all night. Try what I did with my daughter & c if that works. Good luck with it.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 1:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Fix the crib bk. That will help.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 1:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2010