How can I get my 16month old daughter from banging her head on any/everything?

Most of the time it happens when she is throwing a temper tantrum (which she is pretty good at already) and other times I believe she does it just to get attention from someone. Im just unsure why she insists on bending over from the hips and banging her head off the floor, or off the couch, or chair, or table, etc. She does it when she's happy, when she seeems to be bored, angry, and many other times there doesn't seem to be any reason for it. Dr said that it was normal, anyone know of that happening or had it happen? Her father thinks it could be a sign of a mental disability or mental disorder. I dont know what to think.

mom2chicky

Asked by mom2chicky at 1:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't know why, but maybe consider getting her a helmet or headgear like they use for karate sparring - it will protect her head but is soft to protect whatever she's banging it on as well!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• http://www.karatedepot.com/pr-hd-820.html

Like that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I promise you up, down, and all around that it is normal!! It is NOT a sign of a mental disorder. Both my kids did it, but especially my first, and I used to be so freaked out over it. She banged her head on EVERYTHING and it drove me insane! I talked to several doctors about it, and in the time since then I have also become a Psychology major and this is something we studied. Turns out, it is a perfectly normal (and very common) thing for toddlers to do to soothe themselves. Something about the rhythm of it makes them feel in control, at a time when their hormones are raging and they feel very confused all the time. They will not hit their heads hard enough (or long enough) to actually do any damage - trust me, they're hardy little things. :) She will eventually grow out of it...my DD stopped about the time she turned 3. Hope that helps!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 2:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My son head butts all the time. He doesn't have temper tantrums when he's doing it though. He just plays and head butts. My husband did it when he was younger but I think he did it when he was having tantrums. It's completely normal.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:24 AM on Dec. 5, 2010