what are the chances a woman dying when giving birth?

nora_flores

Asked by nora_flores at 1:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• pretty slim. modern medicine has helped our chances by a lot.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 1:43 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i will advice you not think abt that if you re pregnant.jst make sure u have a good doctor.you will be fine
    natbars

Answer by natbars at 1:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It depends greatly on your doctor, hospital, country, health and baby's health. In third world countries women die during childbirth frequently. I myself was considered high-risk both labors because I have chronic asthma. I pretty much had oxygen the entire birth. I also have a condition that causes me to bleed more than normal and came close to needing a blood tranfusion both times just from giving birth. They were able to avoid it by giving me a shot to stop bleeding. I'm also prone to anemia and low blood-pressure so those are both things they watch for. There are some women with bad heart conditions and asthma and they aren't allowed to have vaginal births. I guess because all of the pushing would put a strain on the heart. I know after giving birth my chest hurt. Partially because they tell you to tuck your chin to your chest and also because I was pushing like crazy.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Vaginal or cesarean?
    There is a big difference. Although still slim either way, the risk for dying after a natural birth is much less:

The estimated risk of a woman dying after a cesarean birth is less than one in 2,500 (the risk of death after a vaginal birth is less than one in 10,000).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2010