How do you help a friend deal with the loss of a child when you don't know first-hand what they are going through?

My friend is pregnant and been told there's almost no chance of a safe delivery, if the baby survives the delivery there is no chance she'll be healthy. I try to be there with out forcing my opinion, but would like to know if there's more I could do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just try to be there for her as much as you can! That's really all you can do!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 1:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Just help her the best u can thru the hard parts. My cousin lost twins at 8 months along. It was a bad, bad time, but other than love & support there's nothing that can be done. I'm sorry 2 hear that. It's horrible for any mother 2 have 2 endure. Im not overly religious, but I have friends who r. Let her know we all will b praying 4 her. Everybody n every chuch here, & thats a bunch. God Bless sweetie.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 2:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Dont tell her: "I know how you feel" or "everything is going to be okay" b/c in reality those are lies and she knows it. Just be there to listen, you dont have to give her advice or your opinion on the situation. Just be there to give her hugs and hold her hand through it all. Thats what besties are for!
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 9:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Let her cry and be mad, give her a hug if she needs it. Let her talk about it if she wants to even tho you might feel kinda awkward listening to what she says. I suppose be honest with her that maybe you don't know how to help but that you're there for her. Good luck.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010