is this a Christian country? is this a represention of catholism? chrisianity?

Mobs in Haiti kill 'witches' accused of intentionally spreading cholera

BY Jaime Uribarri
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Originally Published:Friday, December 3rd 2010, 3:31 PM
Updated: Friday, December 3rd 2010, 4:29 PM
Haiti's deadly cholera epidemic has led residents to kill 'witches' accused of intentionally spreading the disease.
Espinosa/AP
Related News

* McCallister: B'klyn fund drive launched to rush aid to St. Lucia
* Storm headed for earthquake-ravaged Haiti capital
* Aid on way as storm nears Haiti this week
* McCallister: Beleaguered Haitians vote for prez
* Medicine and supplies in Haiti clinics running dangerously low
* McCallister: Church youths in spirit of giving to Haiti
*

Fear and despair are making residents of cholera-ravaged Haiti turn on each other, as angry mobs have begun killing neighbors suspected of intentionally spreading the disease through witchcraft.

Up to 12 people accused of using "black magic" to infect others have been murdered as a result of the week-long witch hunt, with new cases being reported daily.

Local officials reported that six suspected witches in the town of Chambellan were stoned or hacked to death, a fate that an additional three people met in the city of Jeremie.

Prosecutor Kesner Numa told Agence France-Presse that the victims were believed to have planted "a substance that spreads the disease" throughout the population.

"Their corpses were burned in the streets."

The violent uprising comes at a time of political crisis for the impoverished Caribbean nation, after reports of fraud and vote-rigging plagued last week’s presidential elections.

Likely a result of the January earthquake that killed a quarter of a million people, Haiti’s cholera epidemic has claimed nearly 2,000 lives over the past two months.

With no end in sight to the problem and no one to blame, people are now looking for scapegoats.

"They [the mobs] really believe that witches are taking advantage of the cholera epidemic to kill," Numa said.

With News Wire Services

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/12/03/2010-12-03_mobs_in_haiti_kill_suspected_witches_accused_of_intentionally_spreading_cholera_.html#ixzz177hDLNpJ

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 1:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Wow that sounds like ignorance, fear, frustration, desperation. I don't know what any religion has to do with it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:12 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I can blame religion all I want because what is going on there is happening in the NAME of religion- therefore, the guilt DOES lie there. If some bible-toting missionary wouldn't have fed them mistranslated meanings of the whole 'do not suffer a witch to live' bullshite, perhaps some of those innocent people who have been killed would still be alive.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• WOW, it is nothing but fear and lack of education.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I swear, if there is a God, he/she seems to have been giving Haiti the holy middle finger since it's inception.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• no, its not. These questions are getting repetitive. (or is it just me)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Christianity has nothing to do with what's going on in Haiti, except that many Chrisitan missionaries have been going over to help with food, shelter, water, clothing, etc. What's happening is what is to be expected after a disaster, especially in poor countries.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I agree with the above posters. Saying this is a result of it being a Christian country is the same as looking at what is going on in some Middle Eastern countries and saying its because of Islam. I know that was the point of the post-.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Interesting question. No, I don't think that religion caused the Cholera outbreak, but I do think that many people do consider these things to be caused by the "wrath of god"--especially those who are superstitious and less-educated, and we have plenty of those in America as well as in Haiti.

I do remember talking with a foster grannie at my daughter's preschool talking about the hurricane that hit Haiti and blaming the victims.  She was convinced that god was punishing the Haitians for practicing Voodoo--just as some Americans blamed the victims of Hurricane Katrina, claiming that god was angry with the licentious lifestyles of the residents of New Orleans (especially gays).

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It is representative of fear.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 5:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It represents desperation and despair.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2010