what's a good dog to get my 19 month old daughter ?

any ideas my daughter loves dogs and i was thinking about getting her one ..

alexia_09

Asked by alexia_09 at 2:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pets

• I sure wish I'd have room for a dog and we are more grown in our home, also too cramped quarters, but if it were me, I'd go with any little mongrel from the "aspca": they are so needed. Loving and a warm free home to sleep. Nice fresh food, and water, and some child to love and pet them. ; ) Awe any little doggie or puppy would help the child. Just not too big.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• The best dog would be the one that best fits your family and your lifestyle. Any dog can be good with kids if they are trained and socialized well. Do your research because people can tell you which breed they think is the best but it does not mean thet that breed is the ideal one for you.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think I just answered this in th other post, so here it is again:

Having a dog when a child is under the age of six can be a real headache for most families. I work with children and pets and typically the child under five ends up competing with the dog for attention from mom. So, I would recommend age 6 or older for the best child/ dog bonding experience.

However, if you choose to get a dog now, just be sure to select a real tolerant, sturdy dog breed that isn't too big or too fragile. The best child friendly dogs in my experience are by and far the shih tzus. They are easy to housetrain and very affectionate...and very tolerant in most cases.

If that doesn't float your boat, then check out the pugs, miniature poodles, Portuguese water dogs and the Boston terriers.

You really want to avoid yorkshire terriers, any of the toy breeds really because they are just too fragile for a toddler, and believe it or not beagles!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have a 17 month old & we have a peke-shit-zu mix & a pom-rat terrier mix. The peke chose my son. A friend had brought the dog over 4 us 2 keep & the dog decided that Mason b-longed 2 him. My son wasn't even a month old. We got the pom this past may. He is very protective of my son & even nips at us when we play with Mason & he thinks we're getting 2 ruff. The best 1's r the 1's that find u. We had a great dane-st. bernard mix when we were growing up & he was the best baby sitter we ever had. With him being such a big dog he could've really hurt some1 over 1 of us kids. There were 4 of us & we got him when he was 2 months old. My dad couldn't even whip us n front of him. He wouldn't bite daddy, but he would take his arm n his mouth so he couldn't spank us. We thought that was pretty cool! We've always had animals. All kinds. So just take ur time getting 1 & when u find 1 or it finds u then u will know. Good luck.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• A stuffed one until they are a bit older. I have a dog with my son, but I had the dog for years before I had my son. The dog was already house trained and knew how to behave and listen.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i agree with a rescue dog too but be sure of the temprament esp around ur baby
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You also have to put into consideration how your child is around pets. Is she gentle, does she want to poke them in the eye, like my daughter lol, or want to pick them up? It wouldn't really be HER dog, since you would be the one taking care of it. I don't think a puppy would be a wise choice, since they are like having another baby around and the energy you need for your daughter, would be used up trying to potty train, and cleaning up after a puppy. Plus they chew on things. But, If you absolutely just want a dog, and don't want to wait, go to a shelter. Most of the dogs there have already been trained and you can tell usually right away,if you like their personality.
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Any dog you get is YOUR dog, not HER dog. She's 19 mos. old. I have 5 dogs and we have had dogs for the majority of our childrens lives but we waited until our youngest was around 4 before we got our 1st dog. Children should be old enough to respect a dog and to not pull on it before you add one to yourr family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• A stuffed one.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 10:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2010