is it healthy for children to sleep in there parents bed?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 3:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My 2 yr old actually sleeps with her almost 6 yr old bro. They are very close to each other and dd adores him. She feels safer with him next to her. Ds doesn't care who or where he sleeps lol. On nights that ds is away at grandparents' house, dd sleeps in ds' bed like normal but if she wakes in the night(often) she will cry until I come get her. She gets scared of wind, rain, darkness, you name it. Since it is a tiny bed, I can't sleep in tere so I carry her to my and dh's bed and she stays there til morning. Ds never had those kinds of slep issues when he was younger. DD is going through bedtime fears and i would be the worst mother in the world toi just allow her to cry and be scared alone in her own bed. Eventually she will outgrow it. If I DIDN'T put her in bed with ds or me and dh I would be causing more harm. I think though once a child is 5 or 6 they outgrow nighttime fears. Around that time they should sleep alone.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think it depends on the age of the child and how you go about it. There are cosleepers you can get for infants which are really useful for a working mom, but I wouldn't stick a newborn in bed with me, that puts the child at risk of suffocation. As for when to stop cosleeping, I think you should stop from 2-3 when the kid wants their own bed, but that's not really a health issue.
    Mom2unangel

Answer by Mom2unangel at 3:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think its completely healthy from birth if practiced safely. (no smoking, drinking, heavy covers, toddlers in bed, risk of falling between cracks, or an obese parent, etc.) Babies bodies react to their parents cues, even subtle. CoSleeping can cure fevers, and many studies prove it reduces the risk of SIDS.
    I also think its perfectly healthy because can give the parent more sleep, which creates a rested and functioning daytime parent.

I do not think co sleeping or bedsharing is the right way for every type of family. I cosleep now, but my first child slept in his own crib from an early age. It was what worked for us at that point, and with our second, now cosleeping works very well.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 3:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Up to a certain age. It's hard to get any if you always got a kid in the bed. Lol
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Maybe not on a regular basis.. every once in awhile!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• We let ours sleep with us on occasion. Especially during a scary storm. They would come in, jump in our bed and then we'd laugh and call ourselves the wallypods! They didn't stay scared for long. They weren't scarred by it or anything either.
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 12:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My son (almost 3) sleeps with me. My husband works nights and I'm just more comfortable in the bed with me, and he prefers it as well. When he gets older we'll break him of it, but for now its not hurting anything. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• *more comfortable with him in the bed, I mean, lol, sorry
    bandgeek521