does a 2 year old nderstand christmas?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 3:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Whether they really understand or not, it sure is fun teaching them! My daughter is 2 and 3 months. She helped decorate the tree, we have a homemade advent calendar that we put Christmas stickers on each day, she will see Santa, we are taking her to a bunch of different Christmas/holiday/winter celebrations, and of course I have explained to her about presents. As more lights go up, we will look at them. We aren't religious, so we don't talk a lot about the birth of Jesus.

She understood Halloween, still talks about it! So yeah, I think a 2 year old can enjoy Christmas whether or not they understand all the nuances.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think my 2 year old understands about the birth of Jesus. We have told him the story many times and when we went to the live nativity scene at our church earlier today and he saw the "baby Jesus" (it was a doll because it was way to cold for a baby to be out in the manger for 2 hours) he knew what was going on.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 3:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Depends. Does a 2 yr. old understand the birth of Jesus and all, I doubt it. I know my 2 yr old doesn'y yet. Does a 2 yr old understand Santa? Some. Does a 2 yr old understand that she/he will be getting presents? MOST DEFINTELY lol
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• No they are 2 small for that. Their minds arent ready to hold onto such information. They like presents though! But I dont think my 2 yr old knows she will get presents....I think Christmas is just a tree to her right now. I have told her things b4 and she only takes out of it the stuff she understands. We looked at our nativity the other day and she only cared for the animals sitting there! You cant even talk to a 2 yr old! The whole time she was squeeling about the animals.....lol
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 4:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• No,not like you do. They're just gathering information you'll build upon next year!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 4:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• They understand some things. If you ask my 2 year old "what is Christmas" he will tell you "Jesus Birthday" but does he really understand that? I'm not sure - it's just what we've been teaching him so he's heard it repeated often enough to know what to say. He definitely collecting memories. He loves the Christmas tree with the lights and colored ornaments, he got a kick out of Santa and his beard when we saw him at the mall, he's enjoying helping pick out gifts for all of his cousins. It's fun and whether he understands or not, we're having a good time teaching him!

Answer by missanc at 7:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2010