by what age should the birds and the bees talk be given to a girl?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 3:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Health

• I agree, beeky - it shouldn't just be one talk. Kids should be told about the biology of the human body as they grow and their systems mature. I think I started talking to my boys about reproductive-type things when they were as young as two (they've always known where babies come from).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think on the day of her first period. It's the perfect opportunity. She needs to know why she's bleeding, how it all connects. Not just what most girls are told"It means you're a woman." Then some people wonder why girls get pregnant before they're ready.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It should be an on going, age appropriate conversation starting when they are young. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Most schools (middle schools) are handling this very subject now. I never waited for schools, I told them myself and usually when I could tell it was something they were curious about, you know like they'd pick up bits of information here and there but need a grown up to fill in the blanks. The most important thing to do though is to treat it like business, it's a function of life. I also agree the education should probably come with the education of menstruation.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 4:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• in our house there isn't an "age" its an ongoing subject that we discuss. our 3 year old has asked questions and we answer them, age appropriately, but it's not something we are waiting until a golden age for.
    asil

Answer by asil at 3:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010