public school or private school?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 3:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• my daughter isn't in school yet and son is in kindergarten in a very small private school. He is LOVED there, not just taught. I like that we're investing in his education, he isn't a number and a paycheck from the government. He's not just another butt in a seat he's a human being who is cared for, nurtured, comforted...... they don't have crazy rules so they can hug him if he needs a hug, pray with him if he's scared, etc. And we're VERY low income and it's a financial struggle but at this time it's necessary. He was supposed to goto public school but at the tour/interview they were real creeps regarding his food allergies. They were way more concerned with liabilities and more work for them than actually keeping him safe.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My kids are in public school and, frankly, it's a million times better than the Catholic school they went to the previous 3 years. Last year my middle daughter and older son left 1st and 2nd grade barely reading (no where near their grade level) and struggling with other subjects. In the first couple months at their new school they went from barely being able to read to choosing books at grade level and wanting to read (they are in 2nd and 3rd grades now). They are learning so much more now, making tons of great friends and I just love their school and their teachers. They have so many more opportunities at this school. Their Catholic school was tiny (one classroom per grade) and didn't really offer an extra curriculars (soccer and basketball were about it). Private doesn't always equal better (and I went to Catholic school K-12 including an all girl high school).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Really depends upon the school.. done both depending upon the circumstances and what was better for my child at the time.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 5:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If I had to choose, I'd say Private school, although I would really like to home school my son.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• In my area-for my kids- public. I have been here 6 years and teach in the schools. Each student teacher we have had that did not meet our standards to be hired ended up at a private school. Our public schools have a larger variety of classes and are better equipped than the private schools. These are the things that re important to me. I understand that others have their reasons for private schools and that each area varies on what is offered in public vs. private- but for us- public is our best option.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Public! Hands down. Private schools are shelters from the real word, which is the most important part of school IMO... If I wanted to shelter them from reality, I would homeschool.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• We did public education and supplemented when the school system fell short. Like in HS when my son was smarter than the teachers in the class room. He took an on line course at a university. Now he is in Stanford so I guess he did okay.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Public school is the best. Private schools are good to only if you don't mind spending thousand of dollars on a education that they can get at a public school.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 4:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• he isn't a number and a paycheck from the government.

How insulting is that! Do you feel the same way about firefighters and police officers? With an attitude like that you did your local school a favor by not attending.
    Anonymous

• My youngest is going to a charter school now but we are taking him out of that school and putting him back in public school next week.
    We thought the charter school would be good for him but it has turned out to be the worst school we could have sent him to.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 7:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2010