I have a 4 year old girl who stays in front of the mirror all the time and talks about fashion. she decides what to wear and how to have her hair done! I am a bit worried about her. Is it a big deal?

she enjoys looking at herself in the mirror and wants to have her hair loose and loves short skirts. she wishes to select her own dress every day and keeps changing her dresses.she is only 4 ( 3 years and 4 months) and this makes me a bit worried. what is gonna happen when she gets 14?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldnt let her get too obsessed. A little bit is ok , but dnt let it become an obsession, I mean you wouldnt want her to be conceited or something. I would just explain to her that being gorgeous is not everything . And I would also monitor what tv shows she watches ect. just bc they have a huge influence a lot of it gives the messsage look at me im gorgeous its all about me , looks are everything kind of thing. this world is very superficial and in reality it really doesnt matter what someone LOOKS like. really inner beauty is more important, WAy more important.
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 8:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• She is a little fashionista. Does she have any older influence, neighbors or cousins. Also, what shows on TV is she watching. It could all change. At 14 she could be a fashion plate or someone who doesn't care what she wears. It will be interesting to see where it all goes.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Don't know why this would worry you, sound normal to me. She'll give you plenty of other things to worry about when she's 14, don't borrow trouble.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 6:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Don't worry, it sounds so cute!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My daughter has been doing that since she was 2. I am a hairdresser so I'm sure she see's that too. She loves to get into my stuff. Plus look at the girls on the disney channel and Nickelodeon, it's kind of hard not to be into it. She's probably just identifying with something she sees. There's nothing wrong with that. Thats how kids learn.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Make sure she is doing other healthy activities, getting together with friends, going to the libray's story hour, etc so she is well rounded and active and not just focusing on the fashion. But who knows? You might have a designer in the makings!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:43 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• That is so cute!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010