first the pastors now the rabbis... what's with the heads of religions committing such offenses... is this woman abuse in america?

Brooklyn Rabbi Gershon Kranczer and sons accused of sexually abusing relatives, young girls: police

BY Henrick Karoliszyn and Jonathan Lemire
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Originally Published:Friday, December 3rd 2010, 2:25 PM
Updated: Saturday, December 4th 2010, 1:34 AM
This is house of Gershom Kranczer,58, who has been accused of molesting several young women. He and one of his adult sons have fled the country.
Egan-Chin/News

A Brooklyn rabbi and three of his sons are accused of preying on four female relatives - and the sexual abuse may have started as many as 15 years ago.

Detectives suspect Rabbi Gershon Kranczer, 58, abused two underage relatives, while three of his sons - ages 24, 21 and 15 - repeatedly attacked other girls, police said.

Investigators said Kranczer and his 21-year-old son, Asher, who is legally blind, fled to Israel Monday and haven't been found.

The rabbi's 24-year-old son, Yechezkel Kranczer, turned himself in to the NYPD Thursday, and the 15-year-old - whose name is being withheld - surrendered to police the day before.

The horrifying abuse came to light when the oldest victim, a 20-year-old woman, told a co-worker at a yeshiva the rabbi had sexually assaulted her. The co-worker went to cops, who soon learned that three of the victim's female relatives - ages 19, 17 and 8 - also allegedly were abused in the rabbi's home.

The 20-year-old said she was frequently molested by Gershon Kranczer - the former head of Yeshiva Tehila L'Dovid - for the past 15 years, police said.

Neighbors were stunned at the allegations. "I've known him for 32 years, and he's an angel, a saint," said friend Sol Borger, 60. "Whenever I need anything, I know I can go to him. There's no way he would do this."

Investigators raided the rabbi's dilapidated Midwood home, where he and his wife - who are first cousins, police sources say - raised their 14 children.

The couple's children range in age from 10 to 28, and those younger than 18 were removed and placed in the care of the Administration for Children's Services.

Investigators do not believe Kranczer's wife was involved in the pattern of abuse and may have unwittingly given her husband a ride to Kennedy Airport on Monday, police sources said.

Her husband unexpectedly resigned from the yeshiva three months ago, sources said.

Detectives are not certain if other female relatives also were abused. Local leaders expressed worry the victims stayed silent for so long because of a culture of silence in the Orthodox community.

"Too many victims are then victimized by people who are angry at for them going forward," said Assemblyman Dov Hikind. "People are afraid to even talk about it."

Yechezkel Kranczer was charged with 70 counts of sexually abusing relatives - ages 17 and 20, prosecutors said. The 15-year-old suspect was charged with sexually abusing an 8-year-old relative, police said.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said cops were coordinating with Israeli authorities to track down the fugitives.

jlemire@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/12/03/2010-12-03_brooklyn_rabbi_gershon_kranczer_and_sons_accused_of_sexually_abusing_relatives_y.html#ixzz179FbZ2Ap

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 8:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Ryansmom, I didn't see any hated in Aasiyah's post. ITA with the posters who said that anyone can commit such an atrocity (in fact, I think you were one of them).

Anytime human beings are involved, there is a chance that something will go wrong. Religious leaders are supposed to set an example, and they are rightly held to a higher standard.

IhartU, you're going to have to convince us all that atheists never do these things. That seems to be what was implied in your response.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• All humans are capable of sins and abuse. Priests, Deacons, Pastors, Rabbi and Imams.  Some people abuse their power because they get off on it including politicians, police, teachers, parents, it's called being a bad person and it happens everywhere.  Luckly I really believe there are more good loving people in the world, but rarely are news articles written about the majority who act with love.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• This article is not blaming the religion in no way is it blaming the religion. There are messed up people in every religion. People need to understand that and stop blaming the religion.
    muslimahpj

Answer by muslimahpj at 4:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• so much easier being Atheist.... never have to worry about that stuff
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• "Woman abuse in America?" LMAO. Sadly, "woman abuse," as you call it, has been going on since time began. You act like this is a new idea.

And atheists are capable of atrocities too. So PUH-LEASE.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• People can be disgusting regardless of their title or position.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I understand what she's doing, though... At least I think I do, if this has anything to do with that post from yesterday... There are so many posts against Islam for the wrongs committed by fallible people who follow that faith, so many that it seems as though people forget these things are found within all faiths - its not something that is tied to religion, but is tied to fallible people.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• OP: all faiths have issues... including Islam . You need to remember there are messed up people everywhere and it is up to them to change.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I'm guessing she's referring to the whole organized religion and religious leaders who are supposed to be setting an example thing, Anon :) I agree, anyone can commit an evil.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• As I recall, most of the abuse victims of the priests were boys, so I wouldn't call it woman abuse, it's child abuse. It's horrible any time a child is abused, especially when it's by someone they should be able to trust, like clergy, a teacher or a relative.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2010