What would be the best medication to take while breastfeeding (for moms' with bipolar disorder and depression)

I have bipolar disorder and depression and is seven months pregnant. I would like to breastfeed immediately after I give birth to my daughter. What medication are you other moms with bipolar disorder and depression taking while breastfeeding your infant(s)? I would really appreciate it:)

kewi86

Asked by kewi86 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Health

• www.kellymom.com is a pretty good source for what is and isn't safe during breastfeeding. But definately check with your doctor too
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Because of my meds I didn't breastfeed my son. I wasn't on the lithium while pregnant but they started me up on it right after delivery. I was advised that with my mental health history that it was better for me not to breastfeed as I had tried it with my first and the failure to succeed (she was not back to birthweight two weeks later) contriubted to a huge episode that landed me in the hospital for a week.
    It's best to talk with a doctor who will know a lot about breastfeeding and what's safe as well as talking with the doctor who manages your care and what he feels you will need.
    Don't understimate postpartum depression (we took every care to try and prevent it thist ime around and I STILL wound up with a pretty nasty case of it).
    And remember, you have to take care of you in order to take care of baby no matter what that may mean, be it that your meds win and you bottle feed or you get to nurse like you want (yay if do)
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 11:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• you would want to check with your DR to see what meds are appropriate for you... then make the decision if nursing risks out weigh the benefits...
    asil

Answer by asil at 3:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010