What do you think about Alien Life?

As reported on the news recently there has been a discovery of another life form on Earth that is not of human, animal or mineral. It is in fact a new organism thats DNA is totally foreign to all other life forms on Earth. It contains a very high concentration of arsenic in levels considered too harsh to nurture life, and poisonous to man, and yet it has "DNA". My question is this, Does this Discovery discredit the possibility that life was created by "God" and does it reenforce the theory of eveloution? Just remember, that this is the only organism ever found to not have phosphorous in its makeup!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• OP, you did not understand the article at all. That life form has an Arsenic based DNA structure. Arsenic is a mineral. The DNA sequences is the same as all the others. It's just the foundation elements that are different. Instead of using hydrogen it uses arsenic. It's just a simple elemental substitution, not a radically different life form. It's a microbe we know as well, just not previously as an arsenic variation.

It diffidently adds to the weight of the evolutionary theory. As the argument of God is not science, it adds nor subtracts from that. But this discovery adds more questions on where to search for life out in the cosmos. Life is not limited to carbon based structures.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I imagine for anyone who believe in a God, this will only prove to them even more that he is capable of ALL kinds of life forms. For me, as an atheist...it only shows that we can never be sure of what is truly out there. I can only imagine the vastness of what life forms are beyond our own solar system! If only we could explore them.
    But this is a start!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• One can believe in God and evolution.... Science and faith don't have to be mutually exclusive or incompatible....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It's not going to discredit the beliefs of the faithful, it's really no different than when Darwin introduced (and proved) evolution. I don't know where it fits into the evolution theory. The discovery is certainly interesting - they will be debating it's origins for many years.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• This doesn't change my belief in God,  it only changes what we believe to be possible out in the living universe. It's exciting to think about different life forms completely different from what we have here on Earth.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• IMO, one would have to be way too egotistical to assume we are the only living creatures in this vast, vast cosmos, or the only form of "life" for that matter

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• There is no reason for me to believe that we are the only life out there.

Answer by older at 10:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2010