what is the properate age to nurse until?

I have 2 other kids that are 5.5 and 3 I was unab;e to nurse my girls because my first I was new at it and the nurse never showed me what to do and never brought her to me to nurse so she wouldn't do it and (I regreat it), but I gave up. My second I had problems after having her and well I ended up drying up when she was 3 weeks old. This time around I want to try to stick to it because I regreat not doing it with the other 2 and this will be our last baby. But if it works out because I was unable to do it with my first 2 I want to do it for as long as I can, but at what age is the aproperate age? I don't want to have people looking at me funny for it. I kinda was wanting to do it for over a year, but I thought 2 might be to old? What is your thoughts to nursing and at what age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• As long as you want to nurse. There is nothing wrong with prolonged feeding. I wanted to nurse to at LEAST 24 months if not longer but she self weaned at 11 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• 1 year
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 9:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I really think that is a question that has a different answer for each mom/baby. I wasnt able to nurse my first born, but my second born I nursed till he was 15 months then I weened him. I felt he was ready to because it had become more of a game to him rather than to fill his hunger, and there are other ways he and I can play and be close. I will say, for me anyway, the first month is very very very hard. I was extreemly determined to make it a go, but I almost gave up. I am so glad I didnt. It is very helpful to have a good support team and when you are feeling like you are never going to get good at it, let that support team know so they can lift you up. It does get better. Much better. But you will have to work to get there.
    Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• IMO,until a year

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I breast fed my oldest until he was 11mths old and he weaned himself, by 12mths he was done. for that last month he only breast fed first thing in the marning and the last thing at night b4 bed. As long as you dont have a freaking 2yr old or older attached to your boob then you will be fine! Most mothers cant or wont bf after baby gets teeth b/c of biting, but mine never did bite me hard enough for me to stop.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 9:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i nursed my first til 24 months, and my second til around 9 months. they bothed weaned themselves.. though once we were approaching two it was a nightmare to get her to stop! I was/am a stay at home mom however, and never nursed publicly at any age, i just went into the bathrooms if i was out!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 11:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• WHO says til they're 2. Do it as long as your comfortable - if you want to go past a year, do it, if you don't, don't. If you're worried about getting funny looks as baby gets older - most babies don't nurse as often when they're older, so you should be able to divert them til you're home again.
    Anonymous

• Im planning on nursing for atleast 6 months. But once teh baby starts getting teeth i want to stop b/c i dont want to risk gettign bit. But its up to you and when you feel comfortable to stop.
    tmma_the_witch

Answer by tmma_the_witch at 1:40 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Until mom & baby are ready to be done.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 1:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2010