when is ok to get a anilmal?

i have a 3 year old and i would love to get her a dog but my husban says she is to young for one to wait till she is older, i woul like to know what would be the right age?

luv_baby

Asked by luv_baby at 9:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pets

• An animal? I know a lady that got her NEWBORN a puppy. Who takes care of it? ;)

Depends on whether you want to take full responsibility...
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yep, you can't say, well she won't take care of it so we're getting rid of it... She's only 3 so it's a play thing to her. If you are committed to teaching her how to care for it and find a good match for your family from a rescue, shelter, etc, then I don't see a problem with it.

Try this, and there are rescues for almost, if not all breeds...
    http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselectorindex.do
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• some people already have had an animal when they have the baby. So I'd say whenever you want.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It would be a good learning experience for her and he will be her best friend because they will grow up together.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Any age is fine but YOU have to want a pet. At age 3 you won't get them to do much for the pet. You might have them scoop the dog food into the bowl every day with your assistance or let them hold the leash (depending on the size of the dog)when you go for a walk but at this age the animal will be mostly the parents responsibility. A pet is a wonderful way to teach kids about love and the fact that sometimes you are going to be responsible for that life. The companionship is great and only gets better as the child grows.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I would go with a guinea pig or a cat at that age. I agree with your husband, age six is much more reasonable for a first dog. I work with pets and families and my experience with three year olds and dogs is that most children under six wind up competing for attention from the dog with the parent, and most families who start that young wind up regretting it.

That said, it can work, but not in the majority of cases. And if you decide to get a dog you really should look into all the breeds, choose something that isn't too big but is sturdy enough for a toddler, and easy to handle. Some recommendations from me are shih tzus, pugs, or miniature poodles.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i agree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Wait until your child is about 5-6 and starts school.
    SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 10:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2010