Baking Soda

...does it ever expire? I've got some from last year and I'm baking today-didn't know if I may need to get a fresh box.

Queenofscrap

Asked by Queenofscrap at 10:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Put some in a bowl. Add in some vinegar. If it fizzes, it's fine, if it doesn't do anything, time for new.
    Anonymous

• As long as it hasn't picked up any odors from other foods it was stored around, it should be fine.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Well I guess I don't need to tell you to try the vinegar test but I will say it does work.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• unopened it should be ok

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Never...they found a box of it in a cave from back in BC
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• LOL Shouldhaveleft. I'm sure it's fine.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:12 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Do you have it in the frig? You need to replace it after 30 days if you are using it to keep the frig fresh.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It does lose it's effectiveness. Use the vinegar test, as mentioned earlier, and it should really fizz, like it's boiling. If it only fizzes a little, it's really not going to work very well. When you buy a new box, transfer it to an air-tight container to store it in.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If you are going out anyway then pick some up and pour that down the sink. It never hurts to have it around for cleaning purposes. If you can't go out before baking then try that vinegar test

Answer by admckenzie at 4:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2010

• I'm probably going to seem like a stick in the mud here with my answer but i went and looked at my box and it expires 09/2013. I have a thing for expiration dates with food. ALWAYS CHECKING to be sure. My daughter and i were in Wise Buys grand opening day and found something that was due to expire this month and had alot in stock to sell. CRAZY
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 4:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2010