Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

CPS....what proof do you need?

What do I need to tell CPS if I suspect abuse? What proof do I need? At this point the father has been kicked out but if he is let back in....what needs to be said and how can I gather proof if I am not close with my neighbors? They have fought to the point of hearing it through the walls. I have heard the dad talk gruffly to the daughter so it's only suspected...I can't call on what I suspect and like I said he got kicked out. I am thinking he gets kicked out on and off because the banging and slamming has been like that. I am thinking of listeing through walls and keeping a log when/if the dad comes back? I want to make sure I am not giving a false alarm. I need advice!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • You should inform them of what you have heard and witness, and ask to have them investigated before tragedy strikes.

    Answer by older at 10:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • Just because a couple has a bad relationship and fight loud enough to hear through the walls doesn't mean that he's abusing the daughter. Now you listening through the walls on your neighbors private lives, that's creepy.

    Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • I would call as much as needed. Where I live, CPS sucks. You can call and call and they still usually leave the poor children in that situation until they get a lot of phone calls. Then it seems like they feel like that have to do something.

    Answer by layh41407 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • You don't have to have "proof" just report it and they will investigate

    Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:34 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • Have you tried talking to the mom to find out before you jump the gun? You haven't given enough information for me to feel that you have any case for calling CPS. Slamming doors and gruff voices are no reason to tear up any family, it sounds like you need to find a better hobby to me.

    Answer by spottedpony at 12:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • You do NOT need proof, you just need suspicion. It is CPS's job to find the proof. When they start fighting loud enough for you to hear it through the walls, then call the police...everytime it happens. But, slamming doors, gruff voices is NOT abuse.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • wow really? maybe you should be more concerned with whats going on in your own home...

    Answer by stickyfingers at 1:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • Wow people on here seem to think it's not their problem if a child is possibly being abused and as far as i'm concerned the daughter lives in an abusive home. Fighting and screaming all the time in front of kids is child abuse. Call the cops every time you hear them screaming. If they contact cps its much more effective. Good for you for caring! That little girl has no voice to speak for herself and doesnt deserve this life.

    Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.