true labor or braxton hicks?

This is my first pregnancy.....I am due in 4 days...last night i woke up with slight period like cramps in lower abdomen that lasted about 10 sec. but no hardening of the abdomen...it hapened about once an hour....also I had slight blood in the toilet at urination which is probably me loosing my plug.....at my apointment 3 days ago i was told im once and a half cm. dilated.......... Could it be early labor even though its not hardening of the stomach ALONG with cramps?? Or could cramps ONLY still be considered a sign of early labor. I know I shouln't worry too much unless they progress to about every ten minutes...just curious what other moms felt.

VenusFlame83

Asked by VenusFlame83 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Cramps can be a sign of early labor. With my first child, I had cramping for about a day before I actually started having contractions. I also had some GI discomfort, and (sorry TMI) pooped a lot that day. Sounds like your body is getting ready! (And I wouldn't call the doctor until contractions are regular and 5 minutes apart.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• At this point in your pregnancy, your uterus and cervix are getting ready for delivery. Your cervix is going through efacement and dilation. Perhaps your dr. has mentioned you are dilated to "X" cm and "X" % efaced at one of your recent visits? Dilation is when the cervix opening is enlarging getting ready for the baby's passage. This process causes the efacement, which is the flattening of your cervix. Normally the cervix is round and bulbous. At this point it is flattening out and stretching much like the tip of a balloon when you blow it up to its maximum. This is most likely what you are feeling. Nobody can say exactly when your baby will come. But, it's not far away, now. :-)
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You're not really considered in true labor until the cramps are contractions with a set pattern and are 5 mins apart. Sounds like your body is getting ready, though.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2010