Membrane Stripping....?

Did any of you have your membranes stripped?? If so, did it work? I'm going today to have mine done...as of last Thursday I was 3cm, 75% and I'll be 40 weeks tomorrow.... I just hope it works!

JenLavazza

Asked by JenLavazza at 10:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually I'm planning a water birth and if I go too far past my due date they'll do a chemical induction which will probably result in more interventions (AND NO water birth)...SO, I'd much rather have this done to help get things started then be put through all that!!!
    JenLavazza

Answer by JenLavazza at 10:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would not personally do it. I was induced with my first son and I didn't like it, it felt un-natural. However with my second son I did it all natural.... my water broke at the house and when we got to the hospital it was too late for medication and so I was forced to give birth ALL natural... and it was much more rewarding because I really had to work for the birth of my baby :) I also don't think it is healthy for the baby.. they know when they are ready to come out :)
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Do what you think is right, but a healthy pregnancy can go 45 weeks or so with no complications. Your due date is just an estimate and some babies need to "cook" longer than 40 weeks.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I had my membranes stipped and it hurt sooooooo bad but it did get my labor started...
    And as for the child abuse remark thats ABSURD!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My midwife and doctors won't let me go past 42...... Getting your membranes sweeped will ONLY put you into labor if your body is almost ready anyway...so It's not like I'd be giving the baby an eviction notice. With my daughter I went to 42 weeks HAD to be induces with Potocin, which led to an epidural, which led to the doc using forceps, which led to needing to get the vit K shot to prevent brain hemorrhaging.....It was aweful and felt like a medical procedure rather than something natural. I really don't want to go through that again!! I want a NO drug gentle waterbirth and if having them stick their finger in my cervix to separate the membranes to get labor started gives that to me, then SO BE IT!! :)
    JenLavazza

Answer by JenLavazza at 10:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I deleted my first remark, sorry, I'm a pregnant bitch hormanal and on a power trip. My 37 week along neighbor is having a selective c-section in one week and I'm getting sick thinking of it :( You didn't deserve that, sorry.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• That's okay I know all about being a hormonal bitch! :) I also know where you are coming from, but as you should know (having a baby at 33 weeks) our bodies don't always cooperate with us. I could have started the membrane sweeping two weeks ago....but I do want things to be as natural as possible, so I waited until 40 weeks hoping I would go into labor on my own. I figure this is better than going too far over and going through what I did last time again. I'm really looking forward to the water birth!!! Hopefully I'll be in that tub by tomorrow!!
    JenLavazza

Answer by JenLavazza at 11:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I had my membranes stripped and to be completely honest, it didnt help at all. I was still had to be induced, still was in labor for 15 hours, and THEN ended up with a c-section.......so, no, for me it didnt do a thing!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i had mine stripped at 39 weeks. I was ready. The doc told me that it would only work if baby was ready to come out anyway. Separating the membrane from the uterus a bit releases a hormone that will naturally induce you.

She did that on Monday morning.. and i went into Labor on Tuesday morning.  All natural, no drugs..  no problems.

4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• BTW..........I didn't feel anything! when I had mine stripped.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2008