yay, holiday drama question

So usually my wonderful(yes she is, I'm not being sarcastic) my wonderul MIL hosts Thanksgiving and my family attends and my husband's family attends too. This year she's going to be in out of town (just her) helping out her daughter in a different state...I am POSITIVE that my husband's brother's wife will not offer to host it instead I would like to, but I seriously don't want to invite them...aaaugh do I HAVE to just bite the bullet and invite them? or can I get away with just inviting his other family...I mean my dining table isn't big enough lol....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Relationships

• i think you should invite her since she is your husbands brothers wife. it is just one day. and you dont wont to have any one have hurt feelings. jmo though
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 10:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would just invite them. Odds are, you might be busy enough that you might not even notice her. I am not sure what sort of person she is. There are family that I could do without of Thanksgiving or Christmas, but it is one day and I just try to be the bigger person.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 10:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Why not just do a small family dinner - just you DH and the kid(s). That is what I'm doing this year. No one to impress, just relax and enjoy my little family that I created. This way I create my own thanksgiving tradition - no stress!!
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 10:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I WISH I could do it that way nightwillow, but my husband has to have it with the whole family...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• awww that sucks. I really am dead set on setting my own traditions this year since my son is almost one. I think it's something every family should do. In that case I would just have them over. You know it's your house and your rules. If they insult you or are rude you have every right to kick their butts out. No one disrespects you in your own home. I don't know what the problem is with them but I hope all goes well. I'm having xmas eve at my small apartment this year and the rule is that if anyone starts a fight they are out. We have family drama as well LOL.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 11:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think you need to invite everyone. That would be really big of you! I hope you have a great time! and I hope everyone is grateful of your efforts as a hostess.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 11:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Yup. Just bite the bullet. As another said - it is just one day and not going to hurt that bad. It's family after all and everyone should be together. Even if you have to get card tables and TV trays. That is what Thanksgiving and family is all about.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i know how you feel i have a family member coming down for thanksgiving that im not all that fond of ...my sister but i hoping for the best and that no punches will be thrown...
    Anonymous

• I say you should invite them. Especially if you are iviting other family that is related to them. Ouch. Unless they specifically toxic, negative, and flat out rude....invite them. Suck it up and move on. Show how you can be a great host, be positive, and relax - it's your house so you can set the tone. And if they get rude or their behavior is unacceptable tell them they need to leave, its your house.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2008