Explaining Christmast, from a non-christian stand point... You asked "Why Celebrate"?

Tim Minchin "White Wine In The Sun"  bout sums it up.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:42 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yuletide celebrations would be closer to its original purpose. Do Christians even realize they are celebrating a Pagan custom by putting up a Pine Tree and decorating it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Christmas isn't JUST a religious holiday, it's also a cultural tradition.

Some people celebrate one OR the other,

some celebrate BOTH.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Have they been informed of such? YES. Do they claim that it has been "christianized" for the purpose for worshiping their deity? YES... didn't you know that if it is done in the name of god, it serves as his praise?
    Nevermind that they have forgotten their god's name... ugh.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I'm glad you brought this up. Someone was all upset about the term"Holiday tree', changing it to Christmas tree....but it is not a religious symbol. It is a pagan symbol. ANd it was first decorated and used as a Christmas tree in Germany. But we don't need to make EVERYTHING Christian. Some of us are spiritual,believe in God but have come to realize that Jesus was just a wise man,not a son of God so we aren't truly Christian, BUT we celebrate Christmas anyway. WHy not?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• FYI- kerp, "Pagan" as you refer to it in the christian terminology is really offensive (I know you didn't mean anything by it, most do not). There are many flavors of the Pagan religious beliefs, but it IS a religion. Not a description for everything which is not christian. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I call my little tree a Yule tree. It's bright and pretty, a 12-incher covered with French-hook holiday earrings. Everytime I walk past it jingles lightly with all the bells. The holiday feast is from the Saturnalia in Rome. Gift-giving from the Solis Invictus celebration for the newly awakening Sun god. Not that it should matter. It's a nice season and most don't care what others are celebrating, whether Kwaanza, Hannukah, Christmas or Yuletide. But, in the spirit of diversity, perhaps the tack taken by christians that "it's ONLY Jesus' birthday" takes away from the importance of the season. It is a time of rest and of family. It is the beginning of winter, with the promise of the spring to come. It symbolizes hope--for everyone, not just christians. EVERYONE!! A bright solstice time, everyone!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I agree with PP
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Nevermind that they have forgotten their god's name

Forgotten God's name ... you should talk.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• "Nevermind that they have forgotten their god's name"

"Forgotten God's name ... you should talk."

She can't forget a God's name if she has never believed in one. I personally call God Cernunnos. other than saying the word "God" what else do you call Him Gal? I'm honestly not trying to soundrude or snarky so I'm sorry if I sound like I am I'm just curious.

flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 12:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• The origin of a Christmas tree may very well be Pagan but that's not what it means to me. Here's the thing with symbolism. It's different from person to person. I read something the other day here on CM that the person thought it was a waste of time. When I hang angels and Santas on it then put a star top it represents Christmas, much of which, in our house is tradition. I don't doubt the origin It's just not what it means to me.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2010