Teen afraid of death

My 13 year old daughter has been fearing the death of her family. She works herself up until she can't sleep and she is crying. She tells me about it, but says that she doesn't want to always tell me about it because she doesn't want me to be upset. We took her to a Dr. about 3 months ago and he talked with her and said that he thought it would pass in a few months. It has been 3 months, do I wait longer? Is it anxiety? Is it depression? What can I do to help her overcome her fears?

badmoparmom

Asked by badmoparmom at 10:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes and its not going away without some help.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:08 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I really did have anxiety and panic attacks about death and cancer and AIDS. I was always convinced I had one or the other. I outgrew it but it took years.

I think maybe get a second opinion. It's normal to fear death, especially at that age. But to be preoccupied with it is the sign of an anxiety problem.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It's common to fear death, but it's not "normal". Death is a part of the life cycle, expected and inevitable. This illustrates perfectly why our society needs to be more open in how we approach death and all the matters surrounding death - because when we don't, we raise anxiety-filled children like this one.
    I believe it is as you say it is, and I encourage you to not only get her some help in dealing with these feelings but also in guiding her towards healthy attitudes towards death AND in not making her episodes of upset too big a deal. Clearly these episodes are getting her attention - and by the sounds of it, that sort of attention is not really helping to resolve the situation.
    Death can - and does - happen in families every day. It may indeed strike your family - it did mine. I'm a widow raising a teen and a tween, who have learned and are learning to deal with death with acceptance and strength.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• She needs to see a counselor, this is NOT normal behavior. It will NOT go away without help. She may have an anxiety disorder.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Counseling is a good idea, but try not to rely on prescription pills to do this, relying on faith or fate is something that might help too, and explaining the cycle of life as it exist, tell her she is wasting all this time worrying about something she has no control over, and time is the one thing we have little off to enjoy this life.

Answer by older at 12:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I went through that and eventually came out of it. I use to be so creeped out that I would wake up sweating because death was constantly on my mind. Its just a phase alot of people go through and some people go through it differently. We have all at one point questioned our existence and the craziness of life and even pondered on how, whats, where and whys of death. I look at it as a rite of passage, once your through that door you see life a lot more differently than when you were a child.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You must set the example to your child by at an appropriate moment and  coincidentally face a theatrical  mousetrap and show that y0u are fearless of death and then talk about how you are not afraid of death and give your strongest vision of our power over the fear of  death, 

My trutth  is simply nobody ever dies. the bodies melt but life never ends for the more important part of the person and that  is their immortal soul....

TARZANMAN

Answer by TARZANMAN at 2:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• teen age angst is common. I was about 14 when mine was bad but mine had to do with fire & brimstone sermons preached at us at church. It terrifies kids. See if someone's been telling her she's going to burn in hell. Some people mean well giving those messages but it's sure rough on kids.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i think she needs some advice and try to inculcate to her some positive things for her to forget all what she ussually thinks of,tell her to pray
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• everyone fears of death i still fear that but always let her feel better
    alexander138012

Answer by alexander138012 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2010