What religions (other than christianity) refer to their deities as "god", rather than referring to them by name?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't know..but God has an awful lot of names.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• All of them...The word God has many meanings, and many faces.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• specifically, which religions refer to their deities by way of the all inclusive title of "god", rather than referring to then by name?
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I kinda thought God was His name. Anyway, to answer your question, I believe the Jewish faith also uses God.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Most Abrahamic based religions.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Allah (Islam) is the Arabic word for God, and even Arabic speaking Christian use it. Generally Jewish people call God HaShem (Not sure of the spelling) which means "the name", so they don't really call him by his name, but they don't just call him God either. But those are just the faiths that came from Abraham. All other religions that I can think of that have a god concept use specific names for their gods, not just the title "God"

I was just thinking about this yesterday actually! I was wondering why Christians do not refer to God by his name, instead of just his title.

MmeCRose

Answer by MmeCRose at 12:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i call "God" Allah. it is what he named himself. And i call him by 99 names and attributes that we were told about but he has many more.

like.. The Almighty, The Most Forgiving, The Most Generous. The Most Compassionate. The one who never sleeps. The one who was never born nor will ever die.The one and only God etc..
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Generally Jewish people call God HaShem (Not sure of the spelling) which means "the name", so they don't really call him by his name, but they don't just call him God either.

I grew up in DC with a large number of Jewish families- we even had major Jewish holidays off from school- and every one of them called Him God.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I've heard some Pagans say "God &/or Goddess" with no specific name(s). Refering to two entities that are a "catch-all" for all Gods/Goddesses or simply masculine & feminine energies &/or aspects of nature.

Many Christians refer to "God" by his name.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• soyousay: That is why I said generally; sometimes Jews will just say God, especially around non Jews, but most of the time they call God HaShem. My dad and his family are all Jewish.

MmeCRose

Answer by MmeCRose at 12:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2010