Is There Any Mothers Here That Has A Child That Has PDD(Pervasive Developmental Disorder)?

CMs, i really need your help, support, & answers @ this time. You see, on Thursday  i went to my son's skool for a meeting w/ a woman from B'ham that works @ a place named Gleenwood a place for kidZ that have autism & other disorders. Well, after having had the pleasure of observing my son in the classroom & me having filled pages after pages of survey questions & she doing an interview w/me she came 2 the conclusion that my son has a type of autism that's known as PDD (Pervasive Develpmental Disorder). I admit that i did become emtional about my son having a type of autism. What mother wants 2 hear that her child has autism, right? Well, she's positive that Don's going 2 be okay b/c she said that he's highly functional & that there shouldn't be a problem w/getting some helpful tools set up in the classroom  as well as @ home that can help him out academically, socially, & communication wise. He'sgoing 2 be starting occupational speech therapy as soon as they can get it set up w/the skool & i fill out the necessary paper work 2 have it done. She also told me that it's common for a child 2 have ADHD & be autistic is some way. My questions are 2 u guys: are there any moms here that has a child that is autic  & has the type of autism that my son has? Why did the mental health center tell me & my husband that our son didn't have autism & he only had ADHD? @ what other info can u give me in concerns of PDD. Thanx. @ keep me & my family in your prayers.hugs

NubianQueen78

Asked by NubianQueen78 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has PDD-NOS as well. He is 3 years old and is in preschool. If you need anyone to talk to or rant to send me a message. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Autism is a type of PDD. It sounds like your son has PDD-NOS which means he has some of the same symptoms as autism, but doesn't have enough of each type to say it's autism. My younger son, now 10, was diagnosed with autism when he was 2, but when he was reevaluated recently they said he no longer has enough of the qualifiers for autism and now he's classified as PDD-NOS. He is mainstreamed in a regular class, is in the gifted program for math, and none of his friends know he's any different from them.

Answer by missanc at 5:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Definatly sending prayers your way. Hope you get the help and support and information you need.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My daughter is 9 with PDD NOS. She is mainstreamed with a lot of support in and out of class. She probably has ADHD as well, but the hyperactive part is less now that she is older. She is smart but has a lot of trouble focusing in school. She receives ST and had OT when she was younger. I take her to a counselor once a week. She does not have a lot of friends but has a couple.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 1:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My 7 yr old son Damien
    DACIA79

Answer by DACIA79 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2011