Dry air messing with my hair?

Ok I live in an older apt where we have radiators (old fashion heating system) and wondering if this is the reason my hair is so dry now? I do know my hair is dry but it just seems to be drier than normal. I tried keeping a glass of water in the living room because I heard that help. it keeps moisture in the air so it wont take from you. But seems not to be working. I don;t have extra income for a humiderfier....anyone else lived with this heating system have tips??

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 12:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• A good conditioner after shampooing will work better. If your hair is really dry, use a leave-in AND a regular conditioner. If your hair is chemically treated (permanent color or relaxed or permed) you probably need a good deep conditioner between chemical applications.

Don't 'grease' your hair to add moisture. Moisture is water, heavy oils and waxes (in some so-called moisturizers) will seal as much out as they do in. Use a good conditioner designed for dry/damaged hair, applied while the hair is clean and wet. And don't over-wash your hair. AA hair doesn't do as well with daily shampooing. Unless you are sweating a lot, or have some other need for frequent shampooing, once or twice a week is plenty of shampooing.

I have central heating but, other than steam heaters, I think most heaters (and air conditioners too, for that matter) take moisture out of the air.

GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• oh okay. Yeah that is somehting I do not use...a daily leave in conditioner. I do have grease and it's ok for that day or the next but I don't like the build up (I have braids). I wash once every two weeks.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i agree
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Definitely a good conditioner. We have aquariums so I have never had to use a glass but I also heard putting water in a ziplock bag and putting it on a vent (don't know about a radiator) helps.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• it would melt on the radiator lol I got the idea about the glass of water from a girl in Japan saying the dry mountain air messed with her. She was advised to place a wet towel in the middle of the room so moisture would be taken from that not her.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Probably. Picking up a moisturizing conditioner will help. One of my favorite conditioners is 3 Minute Miracle by Aussie. This conditioner saved my hair when it was at its worst. I also stopped by Sally's and picked up a couple of different deep conditioning and masks for hair. Whenever I'd shower, I'd combine ALL of them after my shampoo and let them sit for the rest of the shower as I cleaned everything else. Think of it as a deep conditioning treatment at home.

After a few weeks (washing my hair no more than 3 times each week), my hair was almost back to normal. Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2010