for those of us in WIC , how do you feel about the new Electronic Card?

when i went to my WIC appointment the other day i learned that they are switching from paper vouchers to a credit card like EBT does and they jsut re load your couchers electronically to it!
kinda confusing but its better than carrying around all that paper...not sure how i feel about it yet..
how about you?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 12:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I tried looking up info about it. My main understanding is, its like a pilot program they are trying out in only a few areas at a time to see how it works out. I found that only 5 states are doing it so far. Maybe more now, I don't know how old the info I found is.
    Anonymous

• Sounds too complicated for a lot of people. I can see someone with limited education or limited English skills getting all mixed up.
    Anonymous

• To claifify, NOT saying anything bad about being on WIC. I am on it. But not everyone in the world is smart. That's a fact. I have seen other people at the store using WIC & they were getting all messed up just using the paper vouchers.
    Anonymous

• I just went to my WIC and they didn't talk about that to me. They just gave me paper.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 1:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I dont see how that works. How do you know what you have left to buy?
    Anonymous

• where do u live at that they did that? i recently got WIC in York,Pa and they havent done that yet
    blackoceanveiw

Answer by blackoceanveiw at 1:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Welll...what is WIC? I was born in the 1940's and never heard of WIC or EBT cards. My three kids haven't either.
    Anonymous

• Aqua- lol. The way it works now you get about 6 checks depending on your state that state exactly what you can get with THAT check. (ie. 1 gallon 2% milk 2 64 oz. juice OR 1 1/2 gallon of milk, 16 oz. cheese, 1 dozen large eggs) So with a debit it would be more like each month you get the same number and type of item but no 'registry of what you have left or what you have spent. I would do a check list and cross it off as I got it but not everyone will be able to keep track of something like that. I do think the checks are horrid! If you want to do 2 or 3 checks at once plus buy some stuff on your own it takes 3 or 4 transactions and I always feel like crap for holding up the line. It would be nice to make only 2 transactions.
    Anonymous

• when you go to get it re loaded they give u a print off of everything you get each month like ususal. but they also have a machine at the wic offcie where u can go and swip ur card punch in your pin and it prints off a reading of whats left..also when you buy the stuff at the stores it will print you off something on the end of your recipt telling you what you have left on it.
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i do find it confusing and i do think this si going to be alot of headaches over this. especially for the check out people. first time i used it i was in line for 30 mionutes cause she couldnt figure out wtf to do and we finally had to call for help!
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2010