Are you so insecure in your own convictions that you feel the need to capitalize 'christ' in xmas in order for it to still have meaning to you?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 1:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Proof?

http://www.jstor.org/pss/536766

Patriarchs of Time

The Psychology of the Festival of Christmas.

Toward the Origins of Christmas

I don't know if you can access all of those without researcher credentials, but you can probably find them online by searching the names

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It has nothing to do with insecurity. It is praising our lord.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It has to do with Honor and Respect.... you do know what that is right?

It has nothing to do with insecurity.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• What?!?! What a loaded question! I don't think we are the insecure ones.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Christmas, Xmas, Holidays...call it what you want it all means the same to me. The X in Xmas doesn't bother me either since X is also for Christo the root of the word Christ. Holiday's is generic but I know what I celebrate so it's fine with me. Shoot some one could say happy Yule to me and I would say thanks same to you because I know they have good intentions and are happy to share what they celebrate.
    Anonymous

• It's amazing to me how little most of the people here know about history, too.

We know the history - we just aren't cow-towing to you. That's all. Yule, Saturanalia, and Winter Solstice aren't even celebrated on Dec 25th. So crying foul.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• a fool makes their self held accountable as such in an excessively self evident manner.

Clearly!
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think its just a sign of respect/reverence. It doesn't bother me if someone else doesn't capitalize words referring to God or Christianity, etc, but I choose to do it myself out of the respect I have for what the words stand for. Likewise, I try to respect whatever terms others themselves use and capitalize by capitalizing those terms myself, out of consideration for others and my ability to respect what they believe. But I wouldn't demand people do the same for me - its nice when they do, but I get that some people just don't have the same level of reverence for matters of faith/belief. Doesn't mean anything against either of us personally, just its just the way they feel.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It's not proper English however to write it like this: CHRISTmas. That is what is being discussed. Not one person said not to cap the first letter of Christmas! Nobody said that. Nobody said not to. There is not one answer here that says you should put the first letter in lower case. It's the idea of why someone feels the inane need to show off their supposed respect for God by capitalizing the "Christ" portion of the word "Christmas". It doesn't make you anymore "holy" or "respectful" because you write it like that. I went to Catholic school my whole life & not one time did anybody tell me its more respectful of Christ to write Christmas like that. In fact, this is the first place I've ever encountered that had people who did that.
    Anonymous

• I am not insecure by no means. And Thank you tootoobusy. I am not in any way ashamed to praise my Lord! Where do you think CHRISTmas came from people? It began by celebrating the birth of JESUS CHRIST.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010