Opting out of prenatal tests and labor and delivery "standards"??

I'm going to talk to my doc at my next appointment, but i'm just curious how many momma's didn't do some of the "normal required" prenatal tests (like the glucose test) and opted out of things like the mandatory IV during labor and delivery.

I've had two very healthy pregnancies, and this one seems to be going just as well. I dont see the need to take the glucose test when there's no family history, and i have no history of diabetes. And i REALLY REALLY hate being attached to the stupid IV the whole time i'm in labor. It's just in the way, and i honestly dont understand what i have to have it for in the first place.

On top of that, we dont have insurance with this one, so i'm paying out of pocket for everything. The less unnecessary tests and meds i have, the more manageable my bill will be.

I also want to talk to him about having to lay down in bed through my whole labor. I just feel like i'd be more comfortable being able to move (another reason to get rid of the stupid IV...).

My doctor is really cool, and i'm assuming will be as flexible as he's comfortable with. I'm just curious what your experience has been with changing up the "normal mandatory procedures" for prenatal and labor and delivery?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 1:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The only thing I object to and would never do is an amniocentesis. Otherwise, I would definitely have otrher tests such as the glocose test. It is for you and the baby's safety. And the IV is absolutely necessary to prevent dehydration....you do lose blood and liquid volume and need the IV. I think you should be less negative....they do these things to make sure everything goes well and to protect your baby.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I didn't opt out of anything with my oldest. But this is my third pregnancy, so a good bit of the testing was "optional" rather than mandatory seeing how nothing has changed in my life. That said I didn't opt out of the Glucose testing because I'm at risk of diabetes and didn't want to risk things with the baby...

I think it will also vary from hospital to hospital or doc to doc as to what is "mandatory" during labor. I was induced twice, two epidurals, and never had a "mandatory IV" or some other things that I've heard listed as "mandatory" during my deliveries.

I would think anyone who does a Home Birth would automatically be in the "opt-out" category for this stuff... However, in my experience and with my doctors whatever I wanted or needed done was completely up to me. I know not all doctors are that way, but it was kind of a pre-req for mine...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have never done the glucose tests or IVs in my pregnancies-labors. I was normal & healthy, didn't need them. Was never even asked, lol.
    If you don't want anything it's *your* option, of course.
    Your care provider knows this. If they make things difficult for you or don't respect your wishes-opinion then consider another provider.

If you don't want stuff that is standard for the medical-model, you should look into midwifery care.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Have you considered a midwife? Not only are they less expensive, but they would be MUCH more likely to be understanding of your choices. You can still have a hospital delivery if you wish, just find a midwife with hospital privileges. Gestational diabetes isn't always related to family history, but legally, you have the right to refuse any test or procedure you wish. No good provider would ever suggest you lay in bed the whole time. Sounds like a great way to slow labor! The IV sucks, too. Unless you have an epidural, it's generally not necessary.
    Doctors, even the best ones, are often weird about procedure refusal. Midwives are much cooler about it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Thank you, kerp, for that extremely insightful information on your experience with not having certain tests and procedures done. Totally answered my questions.
    MommaTurbo

Comment by MommaTurbo (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Gestational diabetes has nothing to do with family history, so I wouldnt' opt out of that one. But you can opt out of most anything you want to
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• kerp,
    Keep in mind that women have been birthing for thousands of generations (and most still do now) without these interventions.
    Generally science & technology has NOT improved the outcomes.

(Moms can drink water, etc., through labor to stay hydrated rather than have an IV. Certainly not "necessary.")

;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I did on my second and third kids. I did not do althafetaprotien test. I did not do sonograms. Even though people say there are no risks there are. Really with my first one I did not get a sonogram unitll 30 wks. The kids was so huge his head was in one photo and his body in another. Honestly I think that the thing is that you have to make a decision as to what your going to do with the results. (of the tests you have)..
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• well the only thing i opted out of is the on for downs. and if u dont think u need them i wouldnt do it either but thats just up to u and u dont have to follow the incurants gidue lines if u dont have any...
    eaglesbaby1

Answer by eaglesbaby1 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I opted out of all the tests that were optional AND refused to glucose test with my last 2 babies. I'm hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and the test just screws my blood sugar all up and makes me violently ill and then 5 minutes after I leave the office (failing 2 of the 3 times I did it) I would pass out because my blood sugar would bottom out. I just flat out refused to do it the last 2 times.
    I have nothing to say about labor since all 5 of my kids were c-sections.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2010