What are some things poeple used in the Depression to get by?

lol even though people don't say it we are going through a depression any one know some tips people used back then? There was a seminar at my school from people who lived back then giving advice on how they made it through. I missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unable to find a transcript from my school :(

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 1:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• FAMILY, Church and community.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I used to work in a nursing home and the ladies talked about the depression incessantly. They used to eat rabbits:(, make their own clothes and save food for later. It was hard to get some of them to eat(the ones with severe dementia because they would want to save the food for later-they would eat really small portions.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Lots of beans! (protien), Coal, for heating their homes, women would make clothing and quilts out of old fabrics and curtains, so thread & needle, deck of cards and MOONSHINE :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• The biggest savings was moving in with relatives. After that, it was "Use it up, Wear it out, Make It do or Do without."

A lot of soup, saving everything, and being cold.

I was raised by my grandmother who clearly remembered the depression and talked about it a lot. My grandfather didn't talk about it so much, but he saves everything!
    KateKashman

Answer by KateKashman at 1:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Right. Like now I am glad I bought can fooded and soups while it was still warm cause now I am having troubles getting to the grocery store. I tried to tell my mother the thing about moving in together...even though she drives me nuts it would have helped both of us. Two incomes, help with childcare, less stressful when it comes to things. More family unity but nope she is to independent.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Everything that has been mentioned already plus everyone had at least a garden to grow food. Also bartering.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Victory gardens yeah...im trying to do that now...I'm finding some people still have a lot of pride. I'm real.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i think comparing our "depression" now to then is very very sad...
    The poor here still have plenty of resources. Churches have food. Food banks. Govnt assistance. and no one is standing in lines just for a bowl of rice n' beans!
    We went to Cicis the other day & it really bothered me how much uneaten pizza was on tables that needed to be picked up for trash.. Pizza had not even 1 bite out of!
    I think just going "without".. Now days we are so needy & want so much "stuff".. back then they only wanted clothes on their back. food in their belly & a warm place to live.. they were thankful for it all. they were thankful for any job they could find..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have always talked highly of my MIL being able to make 4 meals out of 1 chicken. Chicken, Chicken sandwiches, Chicken Salad and then Chicken soup with carcass.

They did not live in the materialistic society that we are in now.

They did without and did things that did not involve money for entertainment.

tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Well yeah we are not standing in soup lines..thank God but it is tight. I live in Detroit and yeah it's hard.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2010