interfaith households?

I imagine that there's aren't many of us out there, but I'm Jewish and My husband was raised episcopalian. Most of the time everything's fine and good, but sometimes things can get a little hard.
such I light a candle every night of Hanukkah but most of my celebration &observance is today, the Saturday of Hanukkah.

we're running into things like he wanted to decorate the tree today, I'd like him to just not do it today, he doesn't understand why I want to eat on the china every night, it's not a big issue, and we've been married 10 years, but sometimes things just get a little stressful when things aren't usually.

it just gets hard sometimes.
anyone?

anyone else live in a interfaith household?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Holidays

• We are not an interfaith household, but I find it curious that your husband hasn't "got" it after 10 years. Perhaps if you explain the things you are asking are important to you, he will be more understanding.

As an aside, are you a Kosher household? I would think those rules would take more getting used to then eating on China or not decorating the tree the Saturday of Hanukkah.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• We are also interfaith. I think the thing that makes it work is that we both are extremely lax. We have a christmas tree and decorate, but that is the only thing we do regarding christianity. We celebrate hanukah as a one day holiday when it suits everyones calendar. Neither one of us is religious. I don't think it would work if we were. I think your husband has to be more understanding.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My DH is Christian, I am Pagan. My advice is to sit down together - NOT NOW THOUGH - and discuss the issue. The best time to really have this talk is when you're both in a "holy day off season" so that your emotions aren't as high. For us, we strive to find a middle road. Which honestly I think it's easier to find a middle road for things like decorations and such between Pagan & Christian than between Jewish & Christian, but it's possible. You will both need to bend and you will both need to be able to be honest with one another about things. What is important to you and what is important to him? Make sure those aspects are kept... But what aspects of each can you bend on? And how far can you bend? Those are things you both need to address and do so together.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• We're not even interfaith (we're both Christian, but at very different levels of our faith) and we have issues. I cant imagine being married to someone of a completely different faith! That's got to take a lot of patience and understanding! I imagine it's just like everything else in a marriage. There has to be mutual respect, regardless of the issue.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I come from an athiest/agnostic family and married a Catholic. We respect each other beliefs and have friendly debates. Still, he does hold out hope that I'll someday become religious.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2010