How to get my 17 month NOT to scream

My boy screams all the time and it's not like a simple scream it's high pitch one that hurts your ears. He does it ALL the time for no reason most of the time. I keep telling him "shoooo no screaming" but that just encourages him to go louder.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would reward him with what are called toddler cookies when he listens and stops doing it. Since he is only seventeen months you should be able to teach him that he doesn't need to do that and should be starting to talk to you in words. In the meantime, you can reward him when he does make an effort to stop making high pitched sounds.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• That is a toughy. Try telling him to use his inside voice. And that he is hurting your eyes. To help him understand what he is doing. But it might not work since he is at that age.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 2:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i went through that with my daughter and i ignored her every time she did it for no reason and put her in her room it took alittle time but she soon stoped. she seen that it got her nothing she wanted and got her removed from whatever was going on and she hated it. i know it may sound mean but it works... well at lest it did for me.
    eaglesbaby1

Answer by eaglesbaby1 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My grandson was like that. Turned out he had a hearing problem. Get his ears checked.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2010