What can help boost my 4 year olds immune system?

Ever since he started school he's been a walking petri dish. Any ways I can boost his immune system. Does Vitamin C actually make a difference?

Asked by mlmsm928 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• oranges.

if you have trouble getting your kid to eat them, make its room temp and sprinkle a little bit of sugar on the fresh cut slices.

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 2:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Always clear this with pediatrician first...but I had the same problem with my youngest son. He got sick CONSTANTLY. I had a holistic doc tell me to buy the liquid form echinicea and place it on his tongue. I also gave him vitamin c. I don't remember the dosage because is is now 16. He takes echininea in tablet form during cold and flu season. Good luck.

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Oh and try make your child wash their hands after being outside or playing with other children. DO NOT use hand sanitizer

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 2:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• why not hand sanitizer? Just asking because I use it and I have a 5.5 and 3 year old so everytime they see me use it they want some as well

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yeah why not hand sanitiizer? I was wondering about that also because I heard it wasn't good.

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yes, Vit C is helpful, oranges, kiwi, green chilies are all hight in vit. c. Proper diet made up of mostly fruits and veggies. A daily probiotic, eccinacia tea. Limited sugar. Sugar supresses the immune system.

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Hand sanitizer is not ideal for many reasons:
    First they kill good, helpful bacteria too. Second alcohol based products are terribly for your skin, your immune system's first line of defense. Third, killing 99% of bacteria means that only the stongest and most immune 1% survive to multiply. And finally, because our immune systems is strengthened by being exposed to certain bacteria and learning how to fight it. By not ever being exposed to bacteria, you are weakening your body's natural immunity.

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Vitamins C and D ( so citrus fruit and sunlight)

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• The problem is that kids have to get a certain amount of colds we build up our natural immunity that way.

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:25 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• probiotics, not only help the belly but the immune system too.

Answer by sodapple at 5:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2010