babies in helmets, your initial thought

when you see one, what is the 1st thing that comes into your mind?

There's 2 ways it can go so I am often torn on what to think. 1st is in high order multiples and rare medical reasons the head is naturally misshapen from position in womb. 2nd is baby spent too much time in crib, carseat, bouncer, swing, etc and not enough tummy time and back is flattened and needs to be fixed. So it's either the parents fault or NOT the parents fault. Little if any middle/gray area.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I've only ever seen them in stores, never on an actual child. But I have to say I actually laughed out loud the first time I saw one! Why not just put your kid in a bubble? Kids are going to fall, they are going to get hurt and yes, occasionally they are going to hit their head... It's a part of life... Give their booboos kisses and lots of love - You can't protect them from life!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• First thing that comes to mind that they might have a medical problem. I tutored a kid that wore a helmet because he had a soft skull and had seizures. I try not to think worse of the parent when I see that because it's not my place to judge without knowing the real reason.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Seizures could be another reason for helmets
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My nephew wore a helmet to protect his head due to injury so I just think that child needs helmet for medical reasons, I don't ever think it is someone's fault.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If I see one in a helmet, I only think that there is a medical necessity for which a doctor prescribed the helmet. After that, it is really none of my business. I don't think fault finding should even come up.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I've never heard of this. Whenever I see anybody in a helmet outside of sports I think they must suffer from seizures.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i assume there is a medical reason behind it there are way more then just 2 reason little ones need helments. I try not to assume its because the child spent to much time laying in a crib and its the parents fault.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I would first wonder if the child had issues with motor control, like one with Downs or cerebral palsy.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My first thought, like others have already said, is medical issues. My brother was a very rambunctious and accident-prone child. He cracked his skull like, 3 times before he was 5 years old. The docs were so worried about him hitting his head again that they made him wear a helmet for a while! He HATED that thing, and i'm sure my parents got plenty of stares when we were out! lol!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think of medical reasons
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010