I was just reading about Walmart. Do you think it's unfair that the CEO of Walmart is making 2.000x more than a Walmart cashier?

People are really upset about this. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't this America? You have to have an education, you have to work your way up, etc. Anybody can be a cashier(I've had cashiers that can hardly speak English) so it's not hard filling these positions. What are your thoughts?

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• I agree. It's part of the American dream. If you are ambitious and intelligent enough, and work hard enough to get to where that CEO is, then more power to ya! I can be jealous all i want, and demand he share it, but if i REALLY want it, i have to go out and earn it!

Also, if you dont like it, dont work there. Get a job somewhere else!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• CEO's are expected to make a lot more than an entry level person in the company. They do more and are responsible for a lot more.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I don't think you can compare the two positions. There wages should not be proportional.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think it sounds good. A CEO needs a hell of a lot more experience and education than a cashier. You can be a cashier and not even have any High school ed. Of course a CEO of walmart is going to be making BANK, it's WALMART
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have no problem with it. The cashier only needs to be able to run a register and scan things. They don't even have to know how to count change anymore. It is a no brainer job (I have done this job so I know it is a no brainer) that requires no skill at all. It is also a job that when I was younger only teens and college students did so making minimum wage was not a big deal.

The CEO has all the pressure, needs to be well educated, has business knowledge and has typically has worked their way up in the company. My bil is a Regional VP for Walmart he started out as a cashier went to college while working there when he graduated went into their management program and worked his way up. He works very hard his job is much more stressful than a cashiers job. He paid his dues and did the work to get where he is. There should be incentive for those who have the drive to keep moving up the ladder.

Anonymous

• A CEO deserves to make more. He/she earned a higher education to get into such a position, and has FAR MORE responsibility.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Not really. The CEO has 2000 times the stress than the cashier. So I don't see any problem with it. Actually, I would seriously question if he DIDN't make a whole lot more!!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• the real issue is that even a cashier should be able to make enough money to take care of herself and family. that's not whats happening.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I'll have to say I'm in between. Yes he should get more then a cashier since he's job is a hell of a lot different then a cashier but I do think he is over paid
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Although I agree with many of the replies...where I live they act like you need a Ph.D to work there. I applied there for years and they did not hire me until I graduated from college!
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2010