Why do people believe that just because we are Christians and proud means we ALL think everyone else should be to?

Just because I am a Christian and proud to be one does not mean I think all who aren't are horrible people. You DON'T have to believe the way I do, however, I refuse to hide my beliefs just because you don't agree with me. I don't see a reason for everyone to get all upset because we ALL don't agree. We don't have to agree on everything. We can still have civil conversation despite OUR OWN religions and beliefs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree totally OP. It never ceases to amaze me that many of the same people that speak the loudest about acceptance for all are the first to pull down the Christians. I love debate and open converstation. Having different personal beliefs does not make it impossible to have that kind of converstation or even *gasp* a friendship.

Jenny-talia- that is the same as saying ALL white people sound be held personally responsible for slavery, and should be made to continually "prove" their own goodness. That isn't a fair attitude at all. The people responsible for most of those things may have considered "religious leader," but in reality they were politicians. They didn't get to posts of authority, by being good men, they did it by being blood thirsty politicians. That is the danger of giving HUMANS too much authority over any religion.

I will apologize now if my reply sounded over snippy. I have the flu and need sleep lol
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Probably because of those Christians who act as though one MUST be Christian in order to be a decent person, or that Christianity is the ONLY "right" way. Not all of us are like that, but those who are speak loudly enough to leave a pretty strong impression...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Good for you but since you are asking anonymous it does sound like you are hiding................just saying.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Because of the Spanish inquesition?
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Often it's not what we believe but how we share those beliefs. If you are getting merssages to your inbox about how you're "trying to convert others" for simply letting your beliefs be known you might want to think about how you have been sharing your beliefs and the message you might be sending to those who have different beliefs. The internet is a difficult tool used for communicating as others cannot hear our tone of voice or read our body language or facial expressions, thus we must put more thought into choosing our words carefully.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Sorry for my post - OP, I see what you are saying by reading the previous posts.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think it is great when people are unashamed of their beliefs, no matter what religion it is :-)

MmeCRose

Answer by MmeCRose at 3:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Jenny- no Christianity is not responsible for that.... the people are... there is a difference and it needs to be defined properly.
    Not ever Christian changes over night when they receive Jesus.. it is a process for many of us. We will make mistakes but we know that there is a Father that loves and adores us and will help us back up when we trip up.
    I think this forum is a POOR representation of the body of Christ as a whole. There are amazing believers in Christ and I see them every Sat night and every day at school!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I probably spelt that wrong, but oh well...
    I am Episcopalian and I don't brag or become noisy about it all. I just know I am.
    Plus I was always taught that a bumper sticker or being in a group does not make you more Christian than anyone else.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• LOL @ spanish inquisition.
    But yeah, that's pretty much the case. Just because you are a "tolerant" bunch NOW, doesn't mean that you, as a whole, don't have 2,000 years of SHIT to live down. And I mean SHIT. Up to, and including GW claiming the Iraq war was 'God's War'. No god I would ever pray to would put her name on a war. (Not that I pray. It's hyperbole).

Christianity is responsible for more death and misery than joy and happiness. YOU may be a tolerant and accepting person, most who are strong adherents of your faith are not. (Which is SO hypocritical to me, considering Hay-Seus Josephson was about the most tolerant person of the day)
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 3:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010