Mom's with experiance with Asperger's and/or HFA. HELP ME!!!

My son is 6. he is in the middle of the worst melt down we have had since he was 3 or so. He has been yelling in his rrrom for the last 20 min and has thrown all his toys up against the door and has stripped his bed. Part of me wants to go in and pick up all his stuff bag it up and keep it out of his reach until he earns it back but part of me says that isn't fair. I have already told him he will be in his room tomorrow until the mess he made is cleaned up so i feel the consequence is there. I just don't know what to di with him. The trigger was me telling him to not play in the bathroom sink. I told him to get out of the bathroom he was making a mess. If I got to 3 he was going to loose dessert. I got to 3 he lost dessert and next we are here. I calmly usered him into his room and tried to talk him through it like normal but we are getting no where so I left him on his own for a while.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let him go. This is what I do with my son. The longer his meltdown, the longer he is in his room. But make sure you follow thru with the fact that he needs to clean up his mess.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I am no expert but I would just hold him and hug him. He can't help it and doesn't know how to control it. I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I hope you can find help.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• He can't help it and doesn't know how to control it.
    __________________
    This is a myth.
    Autism might be the reason a child acts this way, but it is NOT an excuse. A child with autism can LEARN to control it. Consequences are just as good for a child on the spectrum as they are for neurotypical children.
    Temple Grandin (and if you don't know who she is, you should google her as she is an inspiration) will even tell you to give children with autism consequences. She told a woman that I know, that if he child has meltdowns to take TV, videogames and other priveledges away from them, just like you would any other child as that is what her mother did for her.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have no advice but good luck.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2010