Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can I find out about visitation rights?

My son's father will not provide me with an address of where he is staying during my sons weekend visits. Do I have the right to know by law?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • You have the right to know his address but if he is staying at another house (like for a visit-girlfriend), he doesn't. he only has to provide you with his place of residence.
    Look into your state laws since it varies by state.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • You have the right to know. You also have the right to limit who spends the night at the father's house while your son is there. My SIL used to have to pack up and stay at her parent's house when her boyfriend's son was visiting for his weekends. Now that they are legally married she can stay, but until they were legally married she couldn't stay overnight.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

  • If there is a legal custody agreement, then there should be a place on there where it says you are both responsible for reporting a change in address within 30 days of the change. If you want to have the right to know where your child is at all times, then you will have to get another court order (possibly a "rule 11 agreement") with that amendment.

    But, if he has to tell you, then you will have to tell him where the baby is at all times. Seems a bit absurd - That would mean you would have to report the addresses of the stores and friend's homes you visit with your child.

    If you had to do it, maybe just request that each party notify within 3 hours of knowledge, where the baby is staying if the baby is staying somewhere over-night, or past midnight.

    Answer by texassahm at 9:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.