Pediactric Hip Dysplasia

My 7 month old daughter has yet to be diagnosed. Her provider noticed during a check up yesterday, that she was unable to pull her hips apart in a certain direction. She did not mention clicking, but unevenness in her back fat. I thought that sounded wierd, but online research mentions unevenness in leg length and other things, so that makes a little more sense to me now.

My daughter has an x-ray scheduled for next week. Many "hip moms" mention that their child's xray did not provide sufficient information, or that their ultrasound did not. Some have mentioned that important information was uncovered via an MRI. I wonder if that's the common order of things? It seems very much like time is a factor, and for my baby, I'd rather cut straight to the procedure that will give us the most information. WHICH IS IT? X-RAY, ULTRASOUND or MRI?

Some children are diagnosed at birth (possibly because of breech position), or days or weeks later. Most online resources acknowledge that some children are not diagnosed until later pediatrician visits, but I have yet to know why this is. We are a military family. This means that one pediatrician evaluated my baby at birth, another at discharge, another at her 3 day check-up, another at her 2 week check-up, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, etc...WHY DID IT TAKE 8 VISITS WITH 8 DIFFERENT PROVIDERS TO NOTICE THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM?

Hoping some of you, with your mounds of experience, can provide the answers to my questions.

Thank you so much,

~B

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Because Drs miss things all the time.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2010