How does changing you FB pic to a cartoon help stop child abuse?

Someone please explain to me how changing your FaceBook picture for a few days to a cartoon character is going to help stop or make people more "aware" of child abuse? I know child abuse exists. Pretty sure most people do. I also know if you are a child abuser seeing a picture of Smurfette or Scooby-doo in the corner of someone's profile is probably not going to stop you from abusing your kid the next time. How about donating to a child abuse prevention fund? Or making sure you call the police or family services when you know of an abuse case instead of turning the other way? Or volunteering to work with abused kids? I think THAT would help a whole lot more!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• People who do that are called slactivists.. "The act of participating in obviously pointless activities as an expedient alternative to actually expending effort to fix a problem."
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 4:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It's supposed to help raise awareness. It doesn't. It allows people to falsely feel that they are doing something to combat the problem. When, in fact, if people spent as much time actually doing something to help as they spend searching for a little cartoon, then some good would actually be done.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• The point isn't that changing your picture is going to change anything. But the point is to get people talking. The more people who are talking, the more people who are thinking about it the more action that will be taken. Action always has to start with awareness, and awareness takes conversation. Does it mean that everyone who changes their picture is going to go out and stop a child from being abused? No, of course not, but if it makes even one or two people think and even just one step in and protect a child, then it was worth the 10 seconds it took to change a picture.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It's stupid, and it's co-opted. It started making the rounds a while back as a 'hey, this will be fun, lets make out avatars cartoons, than we can talk about who's cartoons were better'.
    Than it got to the states, and some wahoo made it into some slacktivist BS.
    I didn't get the child abuse message. I got the nostalgia message.
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/facebook-cartoon-profile-picture-week
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 3:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• you got me. I didn't do it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Because people who post cartoons on their facebook page for child abuse has got you to ask this question.... Giving everyone who reads this your ideas.....See it works.:)
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 3:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I hate those things on facebook I refuse to do it for that reason. Someone just said the child abuse part to get more people to post it, I find it tacky.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 3:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Sorry, typo. Slacktivists..
    ObiRenKenobi

• One more thing..
    "Yes, BUT would you be talking about child abuse right now at this second if stupid people on facebook didn't have cartoon pictures? (Mine is She-ra) Is this a subject you bring up everyday? It is stupid....but sometimes it gets people talking, like here."

Lots of people talk about it.. Getting people to talk about it isn't the point.. We can talk about it on here all day.. That doesn't DO anything to change it..
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 4:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• bump bump bump
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2010