Can you live without it?

Do you think that cell phones are a luxury item? Do your kids have them?  Please send me your ideas why or why not to have a cell phone.

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 3:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• a cell phone is def a luxury item for a child. my son is only 4 so this isnt an issue yet, but Im not letting my son have one until he can actively participate in the payment of the phone. If he can pay for it, and the job is not getting in the way of his schoolwork, then he can have it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I prefer to have one. Especially when my husband is away and there is always a chance of breaking down on the side of the road. I could live without it but I feel safer with it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• we do have tracfones in our cars in case of an emergency
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• its a luxury. We did just fine before they existed

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If we travel somewhere I would love to have a cell phone if the car breaks down or something....but overall we dont really need cell phones but they sure do help when you really need em in an emergency.....
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have one and I have to have it. I work in real estate and I am always out checking on properties so I have to have one for tenants to reach me when I am out and about. It is also neccessary because I drive to my parents every couple of weeks and it is a long drive on mostly deserted back roads, so in case I break down it is there. My son won't be getting one till he can help pay the bill for it. I don't think it is a neccessity for him.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• just got rid of my cell phone Nov. 29th. i am doing fine without it.
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I do not have one. Haven't had one for years. But yes, once my kids start school, they will have them, I think that IS a need! If you are going to be outside of the home for that many hours a day - be it school or work or whatever - you should have a cell phone. There are simply to many things that can go wrong and a need to have the ability to get help in an emergency.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have a prepaid cell. I seldom use it but take it when I go out in case of an emergency. My kids do have them but they are grown and buy their own.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I could not live w/o mine. . a lot of other stuff I could do w/o but not my cell phone!
    Huntersmom209

Answer by Huntersmom209 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010