What would you do?

My husband is currently military. His father and my father believe that he should stay in the military because its a constantly paycheck and no need to worry. On the other hand my husband is also wanting to start his career in wildlife conservation but he loves the fact of having that blanket to catch him. He asked me the other day and I want to see him do what he loves instead of seeing him stressing so much with a job he really doesn't like. He loves serving but doesn't really care for the MOS. I am wondering what other wives/SO would tell their loved ones?

Dixie_Rose_76

Asked by Dixie_Rose_76 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• there is a balance between practicality (paycheck) and what one really loves. If you can support him while he seeks out his new career, financially, then do that. If not, maybe he can try to take baby steps and do something with environmental conservation to get a shoe in, while still working in the military and then leave it behind when he's up and running. We'd all LOVE to do what we love, but it's often not realistic and I bet that's where the parents are coming from.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My DH wanted to get out of the Army a couple of years after we me. But I kept talking him into staying in for the medical benifits.  Civilian medical is exspensive. Well 20 later and retired from the Army. He is happy he stayed in. The older you get the more you need those medical benifits. And we can still buy stuff on Post.  I think it was worth it. He does  too.

Answer by louise2 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I'd be quitting and going for my dream and goals. No way I would be unhappy-not for a paycheck.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 6:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010