autism... What is it exactly? Should my 13 month old daughter get her next set of shots?

emturner

Asked by emturner at 9:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both of my kids were diagnosed with PDD which is a form of autism. My daughter was just re-diagnosed and now they say she doesn't have it.

Autism is basically a disorder of the brain that affects development and socialization. Through intense therapy (starting at age 2) children with autism can learn to function. Not all do, but most do. They can learn to relate to people and they catch up developmentally speaking.

I don't know if the shots caused it. I personally think that the shots are a scapegoat. Autism existed long before vaccines. There are cases throughout history that are believed to be autism. The reason why so many people are diagnosed with it today is because it used to be only the severe cases were noticed. Now they notice the mild ones as well.

I choose to vaccinate because I would rather protect my children from diseases that WILL kill them then base my decision on a theory that may not be true.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Go to an autism group, they have LOTS of information. Personally I don't think that vaccinations cause autism but that is a hot topic that I'm not going to get into. I have chosen to vaccinate my daughter because me and my fiance were vaccinated and we turned out just fine.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 10:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• yes get shouts my freind child is the same.get some help look up the condition.find a doctor and get care for you sweet heart.god bless you good luck.
    supermama65

Answer by supermama65 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Go to mercola.com and enter vaccinations in the search. If you have doubts, research it before you do it. My 1st born had a horrible reaction to the MMR vaccine. He screamed for 24 hours straight. Personally, I've read a lot about what's in them and if I could do it over again I would never give my child a vaccination.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 11:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Autism 101
    Autism is a complex set of disorders that are suddenly being diagnosed in epidemic proportions. What exactly is autism, who does it strike, ...
    autism.about.com/od/whatisautism/Autism_101.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Autism Society of America: What Causes Autism
    There is no known single cause for autism, but it is generally accepted that it is caused by abnormalities in brain structure or function. ...
    www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_whatcauses
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• personally.. im not going to give my child ANY shots at ALL!!!! they are only saying that shots are linked to autism bc of the ingredients in the shots that can cause the brain to have problems.they say that the ingredient of mercury is out of the shots, but there are many other ingredients in them that are STILL in them. if you are questioning getting the shots for ur child, its really something u need to make on your own because its so controversial. yes autism did exist before vaccines(bc they can also be caused by things other than shots)... but since mroe and more and more shots have been made.. there has been a 6,000% increase in autism. its a very very hot topic so do your own research on both sides of the issue and come up with your OWN decision. dont listen to other people pushing you on the health of your child. :) best of luck with this!!! also if you have questions, you can fell free to ask me.. i have done much research with this :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Autism links with vaccinations? I really don't think so at all. one thing, i know that i would rather my child has learning disability than he or she sicken with prevetable diseas. ( because not vaccinated)

yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 6:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My personal experience....my son reacted low grade fever to 2 month shots. 4 month shots he spiked 105, and we lost all his eye contact. My secoind child had the first reaction at 6 months and is nixd the shots there. My youngest is non vaxxed till she is older then it will be selective. I have seen babies born with Autism, and I have seen those with shot reaction. I also noticed SIDS seems highest in the week after vax. Do your research hun and decide. Although I think the chicken pox vax is insane. It is only good for 10 yrs and has to be redone. My now 11 yr old hates knowing he has to reup it every 10 yrs or it will be really serious. I prefer lifetime immunity from actually getting it.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2008