Do you think they mislead kids?

I don't know if any of your kids have had to do fund raisers yet, but the season at my son's school has just begun. And all the stuff they tell the kids is really misleading lol my son didn't know HOW MUCH stuff he had to sell to get a prize and all this other gimmicky stuff. I wouldn't mind donating my time and my money to the school, but all the catalogs and selling products and they also want family and friends names & addresses so the company can solicit to them too!? What do you think of this?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 11:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I do not do that book order stuff. Like the candy and wrapping paper.
    I stopped, not only was the price not right it is just a pain in the ass.
    I have no problem doing other stuff.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Yeah, it bugs me too. And I do feel they mislead kids. My 6 year old son is always SO excited at the 'prize' he can get for selling... his school actually does not want door to door sells, they want you to sell to family and friends. As for family.... I'm an only child, my ILs are not very involved with the kids and don't buy from them, and all my friends have kids in school who are selling the exact same thing. So there is NO WAY my son is ever going to get any of these prizes! This year I've decided I will buy things I will actually use but am not going to feel compelled to buy anything- especially since this year I have two kids in two different schools who are each doing their own fundraising drives! Honestly I would prefer if the school just asked me to pay a set amount every couple months and left my kid out of it completely!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I do not agree with the family and friend address giving so they can solicit them. I am not sure what your school is doing for a fund raiser, I do know that in the past we have had catalog fund raisers. With prizes you usually get a letter so you know what you have to sell in order to get certain ones.

If you are not happy with the fund raiser maybe you could just make a donation to the school. I know that the money we raise goes to field trips, assemblies, parties, ect and with out then the kids can not enjoy these things.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I agree, my son's argument was they said I could win a phone of my very own...I showed him how much he had to sell to get it lol.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:20 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Yeah, It all starts in Kindergarten. You have to kind of train them while they are little not to get too excited from the prizes. My boy gets tons of that stuff all year long, and he already knows Mommy isnt likely to buy anything or sell any either. The book orders have good deals sometimes, though.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 11:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My daughter hasnt had any fundraisers yet but she is in girl scouts and they do two fundraisers a year and yeah she has to sell a lot to get a decent prize. I understand the need for these but why should a kid have to sell thousands (or whatever) of dollars worth of stuff just to get a little toy or what not! anway im not looking forward to these when they do start coming home
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 12:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• The principal of my daughters last school would not do the fund raisers. He felt it took away from education time and as he said a waste of paper. He did ask the parents to donate $20 to the school to make up for what ever the fund raisers would have made. I happily donated $80. My thought was it covered my daughters and one of their classmates each that couldn't donate.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2008