Does your SO have a dangerous job? What is it?

Mine does, but most people don't seem to think of it as a dangerous job. They seem to think that it's a really easy job with little to no risk. He works for the Department of Transportation. During the summer and spring (some of the fall) he is a flagger. All of them are required to have life insurance because so many flaggers get killed each year from drivers not paying attention. In the fall and winter (beginning this year), he will be doing whatever the rest of the VDOT crew does during the days, and one snowy nights, he'll be driving a plow and spreading salt and stuff for 12 hours on a mountainous, gravel road (the only gravel main road in our state, I think). He's almost been killed a few times by drivers trying to run through the work zone and the stop sign, then having to swerve to avoid oncoming traffic.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• My husband works in the oil field in Africa.. Men with machine guns have to escort him to work so he isn't killed by rebels and blood diamond smugglers..
    No joke..
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 4:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yes. He repossess houses. I worry a lot about his safety.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• WOW obi that is dangerous....jeeze My SO job is not horribly dangerous but he is a driver and any driving job is not too safe and I also drive. I drive m car to see hospice patients.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• my husband is a united states soldier...enough said....
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My carries a gun so I guess it could be dangerous. He is a security gate guard for the army post we live by.

Answer by louise2 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Amen Sandraberke, Amen.. Thank you for your husband. My husband is a vetran.. I appreciate your husband immensely..
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 4:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My dh is a engineer & dealership mechanic. Wouldn't say so much about danger, - except when
    someone told me about a car falling :( No problems, but you just never know.. I guess thats with any job.

khf22

Answer by khf22 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• He drives all over the state for work. I worry about the weather and such, but that's the only dangerous part about his job.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• he loads bags on planes. even though they are moving very slowly into and out of the pier, I still consider it dangerous. Not to mention possibly getting sucked into the engine if it's started while he's around. Slim chances of these things happening, but you never know.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My hubby drives Haz-mat trucks
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010