Name a female in history who led a country.

Someone said to me that a women could never lead a country. So I thought it would be neat to get a list together.

Momforhealth

Asked by Momforhealth at 11:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank you everyone. All the answers were awesome. Learned some new ones that I had not heard of..:)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 7:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Queen Elizabeth in the Golden years. The world was led by a Queen.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I was going to say Queen Elizabeth, also, but Benazir Bhutto and Margaret Thatcher also come to mind.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 11:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Eva Peron (sp?) Evita
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 11:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Margaret Thatcher.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Cleopatra, Catherine the Great, Golda Meir, Indira Gandhi, Helen Clark, Margaret Thatcher......
    novemberborn

Answer by novemberborn at 11:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Elizabeth I, queen of England: Reign
    (Encyclopedia) Reign When Elizabeth succeeded her sister to the throne in 1558, religious strife, a huge ...
    Anne, queen of England, Scotland, and Ireland: Reign
    (Encyclopedia) Reign The last Stuart ruler, Anne was the first to rule over Great Britain, which was created when ...
    Mary I, 1516–58, queen of England: Reign
    (Encyclopedia) Reign During the spread of Protestantism in the reign of her half brother, Edward VI, Mary was ...
    Victoria, queen of Great Britain and Ireland: Early Reign
    (Encyclopedia) Early Reign Victoria's father died before she was a year old. Upon the death (1830) of George ..
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Queen Victoria. Queen Elizabeth I and II. Queen Mary. Margaret Thatcher. These come to mind immediately.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Joan of Arc didn't "lead" per se, but she helped out and became a saint :D

And I think Queen Elizabeth is one of the BEST examples of a female leading a country EVER. I would love to go back in time and ask her how she did it, she ruled with an iron fist and just seemed so friggin awesome.

Oh, and you can't mention Cleopatra without mentioning someone a million times cooler...Hatshepsut, one of the FEW women who ever held the title of pharaoh in Egypt.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:32 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Who ever said that to you must be living in a closet if they never heard of Margaret Thatcher!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2008