could he just not realize he has to go pee before he goes yet?

my son turned 2 in july. he wants his diapers changed after he goes pee...he calls them ews...well he has been afraid of the potty but i got him to sit on it by offering him a lolly pop for sitting on it. so now he has no problem with his potty. I moved his potty to the living room so we have quick access to it when he would have to go and we stopped diapers and went to undies.... well he ends up peeing where ever he is and i end up hearing eww! either during or after he pees. I try to ask him like every 5 mins if he has to go and he says no. but idk. any advice. we already had 3 accidents today since i let him nap in a diaper.

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah, I think he is just not aware yet. Soon, though, you both are ont he right track!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Mine was not ready until about 2.5 . ..

I dont ask, I just say we are going to try every 1/2 hour ( I think 5 minutes may be to often . .) He will get annoyed, as will you!! :)
    Huntersmom209

Answer by Huntersmom209 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It took forever for me to train my son so hang in there and keep it up it just sounds like he has not quite got it yet.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• He may need a little more time, most boys don't potty train until about 2.5 or 3, but he is on his way. Make him try to go, don't just ask if he has to go, because alot of times kids get to wrapped up into what they are doing and don't want to try and by the time they realize, it's to late. Set a time limit, like every 45 minutes or every half hour and make him try. Even set a kitchen timer so everytime the timer rings, he has to sit on the potty, and if he goes, reset the timer for the original time, if he doesn't, reset it for a less amount of time like 15 or 20 minutes. Good luck, boys are a bit more challenging to train then girls, but it will happen eventually.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• How about the topic: "Are you a big boy now?" Teach him that "big boys go potty in the toilet and don't wear diapers." After awhile, he will think about that....and eventually may surprise you and just start going. Also, it depends on if he is really ready or not. At this point, why is he afraid of the toilet? because of the flushing sound? Show him when you flush where the pee and poopie goes. I taught my girls that "it goes down that big hole and never comes back up. It disappears into pottyland." he may not be aware of when he has to go just yet because he is so used to wearing diapers. I don't have boys but my girls were taught by sitting on the potty chair and I would sit by them for hours and when I heard them tinkle....I always praised them and told them good job. It is a long process that none of us enjoys but trust me, it will be over soon. Hope that helped.
    wingsofaneagle6

Answer by wingsofaneagle6 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My son turned 2 in August, and I"m pretty sure we're in the exact same boat. :)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yes, he probably does not realize the "need" yet. My son did not realize it until he was 3 years old. And he also potty trained himself in a week. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think you are on the right track since you got him over his fear of the potty. So instead of asking him like the pp said, stop and say "time for potty!" My neighbor's son is 3.5 yrs old and last summer, I decided to train him. He likes Thomas the train so I got him a Thomas the train seat to sit on the big potty and every 1/2 hr I said "Oh! It's time for potty train!" and he would happily run to the bathroom. I sat him up on the potty and he was the conductor of the potty train! He would say chuga chuga chuga choo choo! until the potty "fell out of him" lol
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2010