Fun games to do with 20 month old!!

Ok for the winter term I am a stay at home mother. my son is an only child and I feel bad because there are no other kids around for him to play with. Dont have enough to send him to daycare and I stay on campus so there are kids but not like if I lived in a regular neighborhood and could do play date. lol with all that said what are some fun in house games me and him could do. I worry he is bored.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 4:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• board games, play doh, color wonder, toy cars, legos, books, toy kitchen set, webbles, little people,
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I made him homemade fingetr paint and homemade playdough...he doesnt like the texture so that is outta there. the other things we do. IDK I feel bad he doesnt get to play w a lot of kids
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• In addition to the stuff listed, songs/finger plays (ring around the rosy, itsy bitsy spider, head shoulders knees and toes, etc.) and bubble bath (my son would stay in there all day if I would let him)

Answer by missanc at 5:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Have him find things in the house that start with letters of the alphabet...and teach him to write his letters. Teach him to cook by pressing buttons on the microwave and this will also teach him his numbers. I taught my girls when they were 3 how to wash simple dishes, empty wastebaskets and keep certain toys in certain boxes in their room. I took them on walks around the neighborhood and called it a "Nature Walk". We picked up pine cones and brought them home to decorate the house. We even went dumpster diving (some of you won't like that) and found some things that college kids threw away that other people could actually use. It's amazing what you find that is actually wasted. Teach him to recycle. Or when its dinner time, have him learn to set the table or put hot dogs in the water to cook before it gets hot. Or dump noodles in the water. There are tons of things....you just have to really sit and think about it.
    wingsofaneagle6

Answer by wingsofaneagle6 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yeah when it was nice out we wpuld go on a lot of nature walks and I would let him explore dirt pits, play with leaves, and touch the differnt trees :) When there is enough snow fall her I will let him go outside and see the snow. I bet he will like that. I'ma try some of the otehrs things as well. next week is my last week of school so I will have more time to dedicate to him.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Part 2: Children can get bored. But do you also sit and color with him? I know you are a student but sometimes you do things like while you are studying, bring out some books with pictures that he can look at or have him color a picture for your professor/instructor. You could also teach him to write his name, quiz him on colors. Or there is always math problems that will start him thinking. In the winter, build a snowman or make ice cube popsicles by making koolaid into ice trays and placing a popsicle stick to set it when done. Or you can teach him how to play a card game...matches. turn all cards over and play by taking turns so that he will have to remember where the numbers are....this will also teach him about numbers. If you spend alot of time outside, how many sticks can he find and bring back to you? Let him count them.
    wingsofaneagle6

Answer by wingsofaneagle6 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• yeah we do color and have fun wiith that. I have just had my head so far up my books bum I have kinda forgot what to do with him, you know?
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It'll come naturally to you!! When you get this time with him you will wonder why you worried about him having friends. This is a perfect opportunity for you two to bond even more than you already are. All the pp's advice was great! You are his FIRST teacher!! Think - you will be the one who teaches him how to write his name for the very first time!! That is exciting!! Relax, enjoy your son and HAVE FUN!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• My son likes flashcards/memory game. We have some memory cards (with realistic pictures) sometimes he will just tell us what they are and we work on vocabulary... and now we've been working on finding matches.... he loves playing both ways.
    He also likes to sing... so we sing a lot of songs and do silly dances.
    My son likes to paint (we have finger paint and water color) and color.
    If it's not too cold we go out and play in the snow... make snowmen and things like that.
    The other day we made cookies together.
    And other simple day to day things you do... like my son LOVES to help with the laundry... he'll hand me the clothes and I'll put them in the wash... or I'll hand him the wet clothes and he puts them in the dryer... it takes longer but he has fun.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2010