How long?

How long is to long for time outs? 15 minutes for a kindergartner to long? I would like some input on this subject. No hatters please,  just thoughtful and educated comments that will help a mother out.

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 4:48 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• 1 minute per their age . .. so a kinder who is 5 . . . 5 minutes
    I think by 15 minutes they have totally forgotten ( WAY to long) IMO
    Huntersmom209

Answer by Huntersmom209 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• one minute for every year, 6 yrs old, 6 minutes. if he gets out of time out, time out starts all over again. so depending on how stubborn your child is it could turn into 15+ minutes.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Huntersmom is right. It's one minute per year of age.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• 1 min per year of life is the standard. Yes 15mins is WAY to long for a kindergartner!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Typically "they" say a minute per year of life. So, 5-6 minutes for a kindergarten. When we resort to time outs we let the child determine the length. When they are ready to do ____, the time out is done. Typically it's apologizing for something and helping to make it right. This might take 2 minutes, it might take 30... just depends on the day.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• a minute for their age.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• cassie Kellison is correct as well. You can have it that the time starts over if they try to get out or if they are screaming for that time. Most Mobile Therapist and Behavior Specialist will recommend doing it this way.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I also like what LeannaC said . . I agree If Hunter gets up and fixes the reason he is there. . . no more timeout is needed. .. problem solved :) So yes I will tell him you are going to sit for 2 minutes or when you are ready to fix the problem you may get up ..

This way he feels he has some control and I respect him even though I am not happy with his behavior ..
    Huntersmom209

Answer by Huntersmom209 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i was taught that its a minute per age. not that it always works but its work a try
    mikaelsmommy09

Answer by mikaelsmommy09 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think it depends on the offense. If my son (age 6, in kindergarten) does something truly awful he'll go on "lock down" which is an extended time in bed.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2010