What if the Church was actually Christian?

Just asking, what would the Christian Church look like if it actually taught the teachings of Jesus and actually followed Him?

I can't think of a one that does, including my own, even though it probably did at one time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think it would be wonderful to see a church that fully embraces the ideals of loving kindness and compassion espoused by Jesus. It seems that those were the messages that were most important in his ministry, and I do believe that a church that has its foundation firmly set in the character of Christ - what we really know about him in terms to what he actually said and did, rather than what others merely say about him or claim he meant or stood for - it would be a powerfully positive thing indeed....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• LOL...as you can see from the answers already...TOO many different people feel his teachings are one way vs. another. There will never be a church that TRULY represents and follows Jesus because it's ALL up for personal interpretation. People will choose whatever church leader they feel represents him best...and again you will have various differences instead of similarities.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• "The single greatest cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyles. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable." -- Brennan Manning

I hear a lot of christians claim they must be doing things right because the world hates them, just like the world hated Jesus. Jesus warned us of that, and encouraged us with that. But I wonder... It seems like the people who really hated Jesus were religious and political power figures. Regular folk flocked to him. Outcasts, people spurned by organized religion and society, sought him out. People who did not believe in the Jewish religion (Jesus was a Jew) sent for him. So, I'm guessing most of us around here would have liked him. So, if the Church were more like Jesus, I'm thinking more people would be experiencing His love.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 9:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• What I have a problem the most are the evangelists on TV that are the "prosperity" preachers. If I recall Jesus didn't really speak too highly about being prosperous.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My church does teach his word and actions. No matter how hard we (humans) try we will never be perfect like Jesus. We will always sin, even if we do not mean to. I believe that churches do teach His word, but it is up to us as individuals to strive to be more like Him. My paster is not going to get me to heaven, I am going to get myself there. It is all about freewill and te choices we make.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• They would all be JWs... Which is why most don't like them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• BTW EXCELLENT QUESTION and one that myself and the pastoral team of my church and many in my church has asked.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Do you mean Church as in individual Church or as in different denominations? I would hope that each person feels like the individual Church they attend aligns with how they see Jesus taught even if their umbrella Church or denomination does not.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• More like my church.... not to brag :-)
    Seriously tho we do teach what Jesus taught but it isnt about what is being taught.. we can teach and teach but the key is receiving and believing what is being taught... Jesus set up everything for Grace to come in after His death... problem is most preachers have not gotten that memo yet! There are churches including my own emerging and preaching the Father heart of God , the Grace Heart of Jesus and the Message of the Cross. I am learning things not only in church but at ministry school that I have never heard and its blowing my socks off and changing the way I approach people and how I say & see things. It is a learning process! Someone has already msged me privately and said they noticed a change in me which is very encouraging and it is my desire to change! :-) Not everyone wants to take that step and not everyone is taught how either.
    Oh and it is nothing like the JW's ... :)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• sorry but they wouldn't be JW like the first person said. Im ex JW so i know the teachings.
    Sheraymonet

Answer by Sheraymonet at 11:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2010